Jonny Gomes, Yunel Escobar, Sean Rodriguez ejected after Red Sox, Rays clear benches
|05.25.14 at 4:46 pm ET|
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — The Red Sox and Rays were at it again Sunday afternoon.
The two teams cleared their benches once again, this time as a result of a Yunel Escobar steal of third with two outs in the seventh inning and Tampa Bay carrying an 8-3 lead. (The play was ruled defensive indifference.)
Escobar could be seen shouting at the Red Sox dugout, where members of the visiting team had been voicing their displeasure of the stolen base. Escobar left third and made a move toward the dugout, at which time both benches cleared.
Red Sox left fielder Jonny Gomes raced in and shoved Escobar in the face, leading to his ejection.
The most heated on the Tampa Bay side appeared to be Jose Molina, Grant Balfour and Sean Rodriguez. Rodriguez was thrown out of the game, along with Escobar.
The last time the two teams ran into such a confrontation came in 2012 at Fenway Park.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Almonte throws six no-hit innings
- Cup of Coffee: Owens, others struggle on mound
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza dominates in mid-week matinee
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez fires seven strong innings in rehab start
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101
- Cup of Coffee: Moore comes through in the clutch for Salem