Jonny Gomes, Yunel Escobar, Sean Rodriguez ejected after Red Sox, Rays clear benches
|05.25.14 at 4:46 pm ET|
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — The Red Sox and Rays were at it again Sunday afternoon.
The two teams cleared their benches once again, this time as a result of a Yunel Escobar steal of third with two outs in the seventh inning and Tampa Bay carrying an 8-3 lead. (The play was ruled defensive indifference.)
Escobar could be seen shouting at the Red Sox dugout, where members of the visiting team had been voicing their displeasure of the stolen base. Escobar left third and made a move toward the dugout, at which time both benches cleared.
Red Sox left fielder Jonny Gomes raced in and shoved Escobar in the face, leading to his ejection.
The most heated on the Tampa Bay side appeared to be Jose Molina, Grant Balfour and Sean Rodriguez. Rodriguez was thrown out of the game, along with Escobar.
The last time the two teams ran into such a confrontation came in 2012 at Fenway Park.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson strikes out 12 in win, Betts leads PawSox in route
- The Write-Up: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Owens falters in Futures rematch; Shaw leads PawSox
- Cup of Coffee: Martinez, Heller, Weems lead Salem bats in win
- Cup of Coffee: Light shines bright for Salem
- Players of the Week, 7/14-20: Michael Almanzar & Trey Ball
- Cup of Coffee: Acosta scores four in GCL Sox sweep
- Weekly Notes: Betts returns to Pawtucket, Owens wins ninth straight
- 2014 Draft recap: Sox sign 31 players, with impact potential at the top
- Cup of Coffee: Ranaudo, Johnson impress, Stankiewicz fans nine