Jonny Gomes, Yunel Escobar, Sean Rodriguez ejected after Red Sox, Rays clear benches
|05.25.14 at 4:46 pm ET|
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — The Red Sox and Rays were at it again Sunday afternoon.
The two teams cleared their benches once again, this time as a result of a Yunel Escobar steal of third with two outs in the seventh inning and Tampa Bay carrying an 8-3 lead. (The play was ruled defensive indifference.)
Escobar could be seen shouting at the Red Sox dugout, where members of the visiting team had been voicing their displeasure of the stolen base. Escobar left third and made a move toward the dugout, at which time both benches cleared.
Red Sox left fielder Jonny Gomes raced in and shoved Escobar in the face, leading to his ejection.
The most heated on the Tampa Bay side appeared to be Jose Molina, Grant Balfour and Sean Rodriguez. Rodriguez was thrown out of the game, along with Escobar.
The last time the two teams ran into such a confrontation came in 2012 at Fenway Park.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- SoxProspects Staff Announcement: Promotions and new hires!
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday