Jonny Gomes, Yunel Escobar, Sean Rodriguez ejected after Red Sox, Rays clear benches
|05.25.14 at 4:46 pm ET|
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — The Red Sox and Rays were at it again Sunday afternoon.
The two teams cleared their benches once again, this time as a result of a Yunel Escobar steal of third with two outs in the seventh inning and Tampa Bay carrying an 8-3 lead. (The play was ruled defensive indifference.)
Escobar could be seen shouting at the Red Sox dugout, where members of the visiting team had been voicing their displeasure of the stolen base. Escobar left third and made a move toward the dugout, at which time both benches cleared.
Red Sox left fielder Jonny Gomes raced in and shoved Escobar in the face, leading to his ejection.
The most heated on the Tampa Bay side appeared to be Jose Molina, Grant Balfour and Sean Rodriguez. Rodriguez was thrown out of the game, along with Escobar.
The last time the two teams ran into such a confrontation came in 2012 at Fenway Park.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the pitching prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the hitting prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Podcast Ep. #110: Dealin' Dave's Winter Sale
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo to play in Puerto Rican League
- November Notes: Prospect rankings and new CBA
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez belts walk-off home run
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Devers, Hernandez stand out in Dominican winter league
- Podcast Ep. #109: Alex Speier on Ranking the System
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez debuts, Tavarez, Mars stay hot
- Podcast Ep. #108: 2016 Rankings Special