Tuesday’s Red Sox-Braves matchups: Jon Lester vs. Aaron Harang
|05.27.14 at 8:54 am ET|
Lester (4-6, 3.36 ERA) picked a bad time to post one of his worst outings of the year in his last start against Toronto on Thursday. Lester allowed seven runs and seven hits through the first 1 1/3 innings, putting his team in a near insurmountable hole early in the contest.
“The list goes on and on of things that I just flat out didn’t do,” Lester said after the game. “I just wasn’t able to do it with anything. Pick a pitch, I wasn’t able to do it.”
While Lester would eventually settle down, retiring 12 batters in a row before giving up a single to Kevin Pillar in the seventh, the damage had already been done, as Boston fell to Toronto by a score of 7-2, extending the club’s losing streak to six games at the time.
Prior to his last start, Lester had performed well in May, posting a 2-1 record with a 1.80 ERA.
The last time Lester faced off against Atlanta was on June 22, 2012, at Fenway Park. Lester picked up the loss in the contest, surrendering three runs and 10 hits over seven innings of work. In two career starts against Atlanta, Lester is 1-1 with a 2.77 ERA.
Harang (4-4, 3.56 ERA) has rebounded in 2014 after a rough stint with the Mariners and Mets last season, when the righty posted a record of 5-12 with a 5.40 ERA.
Harang received a no-decision in his last start against the Brewers on Thursday, giving up four earned runs on nine hits in 5 1/3 innings.
“Today was just one of those days where I felt awesome in the pen and went out there and the ball wasn’t doing exactly what I wanted it to do,” Harang said after the game. “I was falling behind and ended up having to come back over and try to throw strikes behind in the count. Some days you’re going to have that, but I was able to battle and limit a whole lot of damage and still keep us there.”
While Harang only has one win in his last five starts, he has been a consistent presence in the Braves rotation, allowing two runs or fewer in eight of his 10 starts on the year.
Harang was rocked in his last start against the Red Sox, allowing seven runs over five innings on July 10, 2013. In four career starts against Boston, Harang is 2-2 with a 5.64 ERA.
Red Sox vs. Harang (RHP)
Grady Sizemore (24 plate appearances): .409/.458/.545, 3 doubles, 6 strikeouts
Jonathan Herrera (16): .313/.313/.375, 1 double, 1 RBI
A.J. Pierzynski (12): .200/.273/.200, 2 singles, 2 strikeouts
Davod Ross (12): .333/.333/1.083, 3 home runs, 5 RBI
David Ortiz (9): .556/.556/1.222, 1 home run, 6 RBI
Dustin Pedroia (6): .000/.167/.000, 1 wlk
Daniel Nava (3): .500/.667/.500, 1 single
Mike Carp has one RBI in two plate appearances vs. Harang.
Jonny Gomes (2): 1.000/1.000/1.000, 1 single, 1 RBI
Brock Holt (2): .000/.000/.000
Braves vs. Lester (LHP)
B.J. Upton (60): .200/.254/.327, 2 home runs, 4 RBI
Gerald Laird (14): .214/.214/.357, 2 doubles, 4 strikeouts
Dan Uggla (9): .250/.333/.625, 1 home run, 1 RBI
Ryan Doumit (6): .500/.500/.833, 2 doubles, 3 RBI
Freddie Freeman (4): .333/.500/.333, 1 single
Jason Heyward (3): 1.000/.1.000/1.667, 2 doubles
Andrelton Simmons (3): .500/.333/1.000, 1 double, 2 RBI
Justin Upton (3): .500/.667/2.000, 1 home run, 2 RBI
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins