Clay Buchholz remains optimistic he will make next start
|05.28.14 at 2:39 am ET|
ATLANTA — Clay Buchholz said Tuesday morning he woke up with an unpleasant reminder from his forgettable Memorial Day start ‘ a hyper-extended left leg.
“I’ve done it in the past. It was a little bit more intense yesterday, just over-striding and sort of hyper-extended I guess,” Buchholz said. “I’m a little sore today, so I’ll throw a bullpen [Wednesday] and see how it feels from there.
“I really didn’t think about it then. It was more when I woke up it was stiff and I had to think about what I did to make it feel like that. That was the only thing I could come to.”
Buchholz, who was still left searching for answers after his three-inning, 88-pitch, six-run, eight-walk outing, was still optimistic he could make his next scheduled start, Saturday.
Both the pitcher and Farrell said that any determination would made once Buchholz’ physical progress was evaluated Wednesday.
“I don’t think so,” said Buchholz when asked if he thought he might miss his next start, “but we’re going to wait an extra day and throw a bullpen [Wednesday].”
Another eye-opening revelation by Farrell was that Buchholz had lost a significant amount of weight during his start. While the manager estimated he had dropped seven pounds, the pitcher said he went from weighing in at 181 prior to Monday’s game, to 176 upon arriving Tuesday.
“I wouldn’t think so,” he said when asked if that was normal.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again