Clay Buchholz remains optimistic he will make next start
|05.28.14 at 2:39 am ET|
ATLANTA — Clay Buchholz said Tuesday morning he woke up with an unpleasant reminder from his forgettable Memorial Day start ‘ a hyper-extended left leg.
“I’ve done it in the past. It was a little bit more intense yesterday, just over-striding and sort of hyper-extended I guess,” Buchholz said. “I’m a little sore today, so I’ll throw a bullpen [Wednesday] and see how it feels from there.
“I really didn’t think about it then. It was more when I woke up it was stiff and I had to think about what I did to make it feel like that. That was the only thing I could come to.”
Buchholz, who was still left searching for answers after his three-inning, 88-pitch, six-run, eight-walk outing, was still optimistic he could make his next scheduled start, Saturday.
Both the pitcher and Farrell said that any determination would made once Buchholz’ physical progress was evaluated Wednesday.
“I don’t think so,” said Buchholz when asked if he thought he might miss his next start, “but we’re going to wait an extra day and throw a bullpen [Wednesday].”
Another eye-opening revelation by Farrell was that Buchholz had lost a significant amount of weight during his start. While the manager estimated he had dropped seven pounds, the pitcher said he went from weighing in at 181 prior to Monday’s game, to 176 upon arriving Tuesday.
“I wouldn’t think so,” he said when asked if that was normal.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery