Clay Buchholz remains optimistic he will make next start
|05.28.14 at 2:39 am ET|
ATLANTA — Clay Buchholz said Tuesday morning he woke up with an unpleasant reminder from his forgettable Memorial Day start ‘ a hyper-extended left leg.
“I’ve done it in the past. It was a little bit more intense yesterday, just over-striding and sort of hyper-extended I guess,” Buchholz said. “I’m a little sore today, so I’ll throw a bullpen [Wednesday] and see how it feels from there.
“I really didn’t think about it then. It was more when I woke up it was stiff and I had to think about what I did to make it feel like that. That was the only thing I could come to.”
Buchholz, who was still left searching for answers after his three-inning, 88-pitch, six-run, eight-walk outing, was still optimistic he could make his next scheduled start, Saturday.
Both the pitcher and Farrell said that any determination would made once Buchholz’ physical progress was evaluated Wednesday.
“I don’t think so,” said Buchholz when asked if he thought he might miss his next start, “but we’re going to wait an extra day and throw a bullpen [Wednesday].”
Another eye-opening revelation by Farrell was that Buchholz had lost a significant amount of weight during his start. While the manager estimated he had dropped seven pounds, the pitcher said he went from weighing in at 181 prior to Monday’s game, to 176 upon arriving Tuesday.
“I wouldn’t think so,” he said when asked if that was normal.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated