Clay Buchholz remains optimistic he will make next start
|05.28.14 at 2:39 am ET|
ATLANTA — Clay Buchholz said Tuesday morning he woke up with an unpleasant reminder from his forgettable Memorial Day start ‘ a hyper-extended left leg.
“I’ve done it in the past. It was a little bit more intense yesterday, just over-striding and sort of hyper-extended I guess,” Buchholz said. “I’m a little sore today, so I’ll throw a bullpen [Wednesday] and see how it feels from there.
“I really didn’t think about it then. It was more when I woke up it was stiff and I had to think about what I did to make it feel like that. That was the only thing I could come to.”
Buchholz, who was still left searching for answers after his three-inning, 88-pitch, six-run, eight-walk outing, was still optimistic he could make his next scheduled start, Saturday.
Both the pitcher and Farrell said that any determination would made once Buchholz’ physical progress was evaluated Wednesday.
“I don’t think so,” said Buchholz when asked if he thought he might miss his next start, “but we’re going to wait an extra day and throw a bullpen [Wednesday].”
Another eye-opening revelation by Farrell was that Buchholz had lost a significant amount of weight during his start. While the manager estimated he had dropped seven pounds, the pitcher said he went from weighing in at 181 prior to Monday’s game, to 176 upon arriving Tuesday.
“I wouldn’t think so,” he said when asked if that was normal.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Updates on Red Sox Star Pablo Sandoval's Injury
- Ortiz Looks Determined to Go out with a Bang
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins shoves, Drive bats come alive
- Red Sox recall Light and Owens for Sunday night tilt