Friday’s Red Sox-Rays matchups: Brandon Workman vs. David Price
|05.30.14 at 8:48 am ET|
Tensions are expected to be high between both clubs, as the last matchup between the Rays and Red Sox was highlighted by a bench-clearing brawl on Sunday.
Workman (0-0, 3.18 ERA) was solid in his first start of the season on that day, allowing three runs and five hits over five innings. While Workman put his team in a position to snap its then-nine-game losing streak, a five-run seventh inning off of Boston southpaw Craig Breslow put the game out of reach, as the Rays sealed the 8-5 victory.
“Everything went really good then the last couple of innings I fell behind a few too many hitters, making pitches from behind in the count. They got some base hits on and scored some runs off me,” Workman said after the game.
In 13 career innings against the Rays, Workman is 0-1 with a 4.85 ERA and 1.54 WHIP.
It looked as if Price (4-4, 4.42 ERA) was on pace for an early exit in his last start on Saturday, also against the Red Sox. An anemic Boston lineup that had only scored 16 runs in its previous eight games quickly tagged Price for five runs in the first, putting Tampa Bay in an early hole.
Price would quickly rebound following his poor start to the game, letting just two baserunners on over the next seven frames, allowing his team to storm back and defeat Boston by a score of 6-5.
“This team just doesn’t quit,” Price said after the game. “I put them in a hole 5-0 before we even had a chance to swing the bats, it was a good job by our offense and especially by our bullpen.”
Price has been susceptible to the long ball this year, surrendering 12 home runs in 77 1/3 innings pitched, but still boasts and impressive 84-to-8 strikeout-to-walk ratio.
In 21 career starts against Boston, Price is 10-6 with a 3.09 ERA.
Rays vs. Workman (RHP)
Matthew Joyce (7 plate appearances): 000/.143/.000, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
James Loney (7): .333/.286/.833, 1 home run, 3 RBIs
Evan Longoria (7): .571/.571/1.143, 1 home run, 2 RBIs
Yunel Escobar (5): .250/.400/.250, 1 single, 1 walk
Desmond Jennings (4): .333/.333/.333, 1 single, 1 strikeout
Wil Myers (4): .000/.250/.000, 1 walk, 1 RBI
David DeJesus has one double and one strikeout in three plate appearances vs. Workman.
Logan Forsythe has one single and one RBI in two plate appearances.
Jose Molina has one strikeout in two plate appearances vs. Workman.
Red Sox vs. Price (LHP)
Dustin Pedroia (55): .250/.345/.396, 1 home run, 11 strikeouts
David Ortiz (42): .216/.310/.297, 3 doubles, 7 strikeouts
Jonny Gomes (24): 190/.250/.238, 1 double, 6 strikeouts
Daniel Nava (22): .100/.143/.100, 2 singles, 8 strikeouts
A.J. Pierzynski (19): .176/.222/.353, 1 home run, 3 RBI
Ryan Lavarnway (9): .222/.222/.333, 1 double, 4 strikeouts
David Ross (8): .375/.375/1.125, 2 home runs, 2 RBI
Grady Sizemore (8): .250/.250/.375, 1 double, 3 strikeouts
Xander Bogaerts (4): .500/.500/.500, 2 singles
Mike Carp has one RBI and one strikeout in 4 plate appearances vs. Price.
Brock Holt (4): .250/.250/.250, 1 single, 2 strikeouts
Jackie Bradley (3): .000/.000/.000
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Podcast Ep. 95: One month in, start it up again
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez, Smith begin rehab assignments
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night