Friday’s Red Sox-Rays matchups: Brandon Workman vs. David Price
|05.30.14 at 8:48 am ET|
Tensions are expected to be high between both clubs, as the last matchup between the Rays and Red Sox was highlighted by a bench-clearing brawl on Sunday.
Workman (0-0, 3.18 ERA) was solid in his first start of the season on that day, allowing three runs and five hits over five innings. While Workman put his team in a position to snap its then-nine-game losing streak, a five-run seventh inning off of Boston southpaw Craig Breslow put the game out of reach, as the Rays sealed the 8-5 victory.
“Everything went really good then the last couple of innings I fell behind a few too many hitters, making pitches from behind in the count. They got some base hits on and scored some runs off me,” Workman said after the game.
In 13 career innings against the Rays, Workman is 0-1 with a 4.85 ERA and 1.54 WHIP.
It looked as if Price (4-4, 4.42 ERA) was on pace for an early exit in his last start on Saturday, also against the Red Sox. An anemic Boston lineup that had only scored 16 runs in its previous eight games quickly tagged Price for five runs in the first, putting Tampa Bay in an early hole.
Price would quickly rebound following his poor start to the game, letting just two baserunners on over the next seven frames, allowing his team to storm back and defeat Boston by a score of 6-5.
“This team just doesn’t quit,” Price said after the game. “I put them in a hole 5-0 before we even had a chance to swing the bats, it was a good job by our offense and especially by our bullpen.”
Price has been susceptible to the long ball this year, surrendering 12 home runs in 77 1/3 innings pitched, but still boasts and impressive 84-to-8 strikeout-to-walk ratio.
In 21 career starts against Boston, Price is 10-6 with a 3.09 ERA.
Rays vs. Workman (RHP)
Matthew Joyce (7 plate appearances): 000/.143/.000, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
James Loney (7): .333/.286/.833, 1 home run, 3 RBIs
Evan Longoria (7): .571/.571/1.143, 1 home run, 2 RBIs
Yunel Escobar (5): .250/.400/.250, 1 single, 1 walk
Desmond Jennings (4): .333/.333/.333, 1 single, 1 strikeout
Wil Myers (4): .000/.250/.000, 1 walk, 1 RBI
David DeJesus has one double and one strikeout in three plate appearances vs. Workman.
Logan Forsythe has one single and one RBI in two plate appearances.
Jose Molina has one strikeout in two plate appearances vs. Workman.
Red Sox vs. Price (LHP)
Dustin Pedroia (55): .250/.345/.396, 1 home run, 11 strikeouts
David Ortiz (42): .216/.310/.297, 3 doubles, 7 strikeouts
Jonny Gomes (24): 190/.250/.238, 1 double, 6 strikeouts
Daniel Nava (22): .100/.143/.100, 2 singles, 8 strikeouts
A.J. Pierzynski (19): .176/.222/.353, 1 home run, 3 RBI
Ryan Lavarnway (9): .222/.222/.333, 1 double, 4 strikeouts
David Ross (8): .375/.375/1.125, 2 home runs, 2 RBI
Grady Sizemore (8): .250/.250/.375, 1 double, 3 strikeouts
Xander Bogaerts (4): .500/.500/.500, 2 singles
Mike Carp has one RBI and one strikeout in 4 plate appearances vs. Price.
Brock Holt (4): .250/.250/.250, 1 single, 2 strikeouts
Jackie Bradley (3): .000/.000/.000
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Chatham comes up clutch, Downs lifts Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts