Red Sox to option right-hander Alex Wilson, call up Garin Cecchini
|05.31.14 at 11:20 pm ET|
Next up: Garin Cecchini.
According to multiple industry sources, the Red Sox will call up third baseman Garin Cecchini from Triple-A Pawtucket for Sunday’s game against the Rays. In order to make room for the 23-year-old — who entered the year ranked as the No. 6 prospect in the Red Sox organization according to Baseball America — the team will option right-hander Alex Wilson to Triple-A Pawtucket.
Cecchini is expected to offer the Red Sox short-term roster protection while Stephen Drew completes his 10-day minor league assignment, restoring a mix of 13 position players and 12 pitchers on the active roster. (On Saturday, the Sox featured 13 pitchers and 12 position players.) A fourth-round pick in the 2010 draft who signed for a bonus commensurate with a first-round pick ($1.31 million) while coming off a ruptured ACL that truncated a decorated high school career, Cecchini has been among the steadiest offensive performers in the Red Sox system in recent years.
In four minor league seasons, Cecchini is hitting .307 with a .408 OBP and .440 slugging mark. In his first season in Triple-A, he’s hitting .278 with a .354 OBP and .335 slugging mark, showing an offensive approach that is widely viewed as big league-ready.
Here’s how Cecchini described his goals for the 2014 season in spring training.
“I know what my dream is, and that’s to win multiple World Series with the Red Sox,” he said. “I’m going to help the Red Sox win a World Series this year. That’s one of my goals. That’s the only goal to tell you the truth. Because at the end of the day that’s all that matters. I just want to help this team win a World Series.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers
- The Write-Up: More from the Fort