Red Sox to option right-hander Alex Wilson, call up Garin Cecchini
|05.31.14 at 11:20 pm ET|
Next up: Garin Cecchini.
According to multiple industry sources, the Red Sox will call up third baseman Garin Cecchini from Triple-A Pawtucket for Sunday’s game against the Rays. In order to make room for the 23-year-old — who entered the year ranked as the No. 6 prospect in the Red Sox organization according to Baseball America — the team will option right-hander Alex Wilson to Triple-A Pawtucket.
Cecchini is expected to offer the Red Sox short-term roster protection while Stephen Drew completes his 10-day minor league assignment, restoring a mix of 13 position players and 12 pitchers on the active roster. (On Saturday, the Sox featured 13 pitchers and 12 position players.) A fourth-round pick in the 2010 draft who signed for a bonus commensurate with a first-round pick ($1.31 million) while coming off a ruptured ACL that truncated a decorated high school career, Cecchini has been among the steadiest offensive performers in the Red Sox system in recent years.
In four minor league seasons, Cecchini is hitting .307 with a .408 OBP and .440 slugging mark. In his first season in Triple-A, he’s hitting .278 with a .354 OBP and .335 slugging mark, showing an offensive approach that is widely viewed as big league-ready.
Here’s how Cecchini described his goals for the 2014 season in spring training.
“I know what my dream is, and that’s to win multiple World Series with the Red Sox,” he said. “I’m going to help the Red Sox win a World Series this year. That’s one of my goals. That’s the only goal to tell you the truth. Because at the end of the day that’s all that matters. I just want to help this team win a World Series.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings
- Weekly Notes: Groome debuts, Kopech and Dalbec stay hot
- Cup of Coffee: Salem wins 10th straight, Hill, Tubbs carry Lowell
- Podcast Ep. #104: BeninBoston
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Luis Alexander Basabe