Dustin Pedroia ejected; Garin Cecchini makes big league debut
|06.01.14 at 2:48 pm ET|
Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia was ejected after the completion of the third inning of his team’s game with the Rays Sunday afternoon. Pedroia could be seen arguing with home plate umpire D.J. Reyburn following an inning-ending strikeout to David Ortiz.
In the previous at-bat, Pedroia had grounded out to shortstop, but appeared upset over Rayburn’s strike zone. The game was scoreless at the time of the ejection.
“It was in the at-bat. I obviously disagreed with a pitch in my first at-bat. And then my second at-bat, to change the at-bat,” Pedroia said after the Red Sox‘ 4-0 win. “I came out for the inning, he was kind of staring over at me, I said, ‘Hey, that’s not a strike.’ And he threw me out. That happens. Obviously you have disagreements. I was obviously frustrated because at that point it the game, you have at-bats with guys in scoring position, and one pitch can change the at-bat. It happens.
“I try never to show any umpires up. Even if I disagree with a pitch at the time, I try to put my head down so people can’t tell if I’m talking to them or whatever. It happens.”
With Pedroia out, Jonathan Herrera — who was playing third base — moved to second base, with rookie Garin Cecchini making his major league debut at third base. Cecchini went 1-for-2, notching his first major league hit in his second at-bat.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies