Dustin Pedroia ejected; Garin Cecchini makes big league debut
|06.01.14 at 2:48 pm ET|
Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia was ejected after the completion of the third inning of his team’s game with the Rays Sunday afternoon. Pedroia could be seen arguing with home plate umpire D.J. Reyburn following an inning-ending strikeout to David Ortiz.
In the previous at-bat, Pedroia had grounded out to shortstop, but appeared upset over Rayburn’s strike zone. The game was scoreless at the time of the ejection.
“It was in the at-bat. I obviously disagreed with a pitch in my first at-bat. And then my second at-bat, to change the at-bat,” Pedroia said after the Red Sox‘ 4-0 win. “I came out for the inning, he was kind of staring over at me, I said, ‘Hey, that’s not a strike.’ And he threw me out. That happens. Obviously you have disagreements. I was obviously frustrated because at that point it the game, you have at-bats with guys in scoring position, and one pitch can change the at-bat. It happens.
“I try never to show any umpires up. Even if I disagree with a pitch at the time, I try to put my head down so people can’t tell if I’m talking to them or whatever. It happens.”
With Pedroia out, Jonathan Herrera — who was playing third base — moved to second base, with rookie Garin Cecchini making his major league debut at third base. Cecchini went 1-for-2, notching his first major league hit in his second at-bat.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects five hits, Chatham belts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon comes up clutch, Dalbec stays hot for Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings
- Weekly Notes: Groome debuts, Kopech and Dalbec stay hot
- Cup of Coffee: Salem wins 10th straight, Hill, Tubbs carry Lowell