Dustin Pedroia ejected; Garin Cecchini makes big league debut
|06.01.14 at 2:48 pm ET|
Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia was ejected after the completion of the third inning of his team’s game with the Rays Sunday afternoon. Pedroia could be seen arguing with home plate umpire D.J. Reyburn following an inning-ending strikeout to David Ortiz.
In the previous at-bat, Pedroia had grounded out to shortstop, but appeared upset over Rayburn’s strike zone. The game was scoreless at the time of the ejection.
“It was in the at-bat. I obviously disagreed with a pitch in my first at-bat. And then my second at-bat, to change the at-bat,” Pedroia said after the Red Sox‘ 4-0 win. “I came out for the inning, he was kind of staring over at me, I said, ‘Hey, that’s not a strike.’ And he threw me out. That happens. Obviously you have disagreements. I was obviously frustrated because at that point it the game, you have at-bats with guys in scoring position, and one pitch can change the at-bat. It happens.
“I try never to show any umpires up. Even if I disagree with a pitch at the time, I try to put my head down so people can’t tell if I’m talking to them or whatever. It happens.”
With Pedroia out, Jonathan Herrera — who was playing third base — moved to second base, with rookie Garin Cecchini making his major league debut at third base. Cecchini went 1-for-2, notching his first major league hit in his second at-bat.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016