Dustin Pedroia ejected; Garin Cecchini makes big league debut
|06.01.14 at 2:48 pm ET|
Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia was ejected after the completion of the third inning of his team’s game with the Rays Sunday afternoon. Pedroia could be seen arguing with home plate umpire D.J. Reyburn following an inning-ending strikeout to David Ortiz.
In the previous at-bat, Pedroia had grounded out to shortstop, but appeared upset over Rayburn’s strike zone. The game was scoreless at the time of the ejection.
“It was in the at-bat. I obviously disagreed with a pitch in my first at-bat. And then my second at-bat, to change the at-bat,” Pedroia said after the Red Sox‘ 4-0 win. “I came out for the inning, he was kind of staring over at me, I said, ‘Hey, that’s not a strike.’ And he threw me out. That happens. Obviously you have disagreements. I was obviously frustrated because at that point it the game, you have at-bats with guys in scoring position, and one pitch can change the at-bat. It happens.
“I try never to show any umpires up. Even if I disagree with a pitch at the time, I try to put my head down so people can’t tell if I’m talking to them or whatever. It happens.”
With Pedroia out, Jonathan Herrera — who was playing third base — moved to second base, with rookie Garin Cecchini making his major league debut at third base. Cecchini went 1-for-2, notching his first major league hit in his second at-bat.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo