Dustin Pedroia ejected; Garin Cecchini makes big league debut
|06.01.14 at 2:48 pm ET|
Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia was ejected after the completion of the third inning of his team’s game with the Rays Sunday afternoon. Pedroia could be seen arguing with home plate umpire D.J. Reyburn following an inning-ending strikeout to David Ortiz.
In the previous at-bat, Pedroia had grounded out to shortstop, but appeared upset over Rayburn’s strike zone. The game was scoreless at the time of the ejection.
“It was in the at-bat. I obviously disagreed with a pitch in my first at-bat. And then my second at-bat, to change the at-bat,” Pedroia said after the Red Sox‘ 4-0 win. “I came out for the inning, he was kind of staring over at me, I said, ‘Hey, that’s not a strike.’ And he threw me out. That happens. Obviously you have disagreements. I was obviously frustrated because at that point it the game, you have at-bats with guys in scoring position, and one pitch can change the at-bat. It happens.
“I try never to show any umpires up. Even if I disagree with a pitch at the time, I try to put my head down so people can’t tell if I’m talking to them or whatever. It happens.”
With Pedroia out, Jonathan Herrera — who was playing third base — moved to second base, with rookie Garin Cecchini making his major league debut at third base. Cecchini went 1-for-2, notching his first major league hit in his second at-bat.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Updates on Red Sox Star Pablo Sandoval's Injury
- Ortiz Looks Determined to Go out with a Bang
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins shoves, Drive bats come alive