Monday’s Red Sox-Indians matchups: John Lackey vs. Justin Masterson
|06.02.14 at 8:47 am ET|
Lackey (6-3, 3.27 ERA) has been Boston’s most reliable pitcher in what has otherwise been an inconsistent season for the Sox’ starting rotation. He’s had a quality start in seven of his last eight outings, and posted a 2.56 ERA in his five starts in May.
Lackey earned his third shutout of the season in a 4-0 win over the Braves on Wednesday. It was the Red Sox‘ first shutout win of 2014. The right-hander scattered eight hits and struck out nine batters for the third time this year, while not allowing a walk. Lackey hasn’t walked a batter in a start in which he’s fanned nine or more this season.
“It’s been somewhat of a sign that he’s been all year for us,” manager John Farrell said after the game. “[He’s had] a number of starts where he’s not walked people. He’s had a very good fastball with some swings and misses, and he had another shutout here tonight. Just a high number of strikes. He was able to get a strikeout in some key spots, particularly to [B.J. Upton]. He set the tone here tonight.”
Monday will be Lackey’s first start against the Indians since May 24, 2013. He gave up an unearned run on two hits, three walks and eight strikeouts over seven innings that night in an 8-1 Red Sox win. Lackey is 7-7 in 17 career starts against the Indians with a 3.98 ERA.
Masterson (2-4, 5.21 ERA) has seen a significant drop off in his performance so far this season after a strong 2013 in which he went 14-10 with a 3.45 ERA. The former Red Sox prospect has been one of Cleveland’s least reliable pitchers this season. Just five of his 12 outings have been quality starts,and he’s had his share of clunkers mixed in, especially as of late. The right-hander is 0-3 with an 8.84 ERA in his last four starts.
Masterson’s last start was cut short by a rain delay. The 29-year-old held the White Sox to one run on four hits with two walks and three strikeouts, but left with a 1-0 deficit after the third inning due to a nearly two-hour delay. Masterson took the loss for the Indians.
“[Masterson] had thrown a lot of pitches, but he managed to kind of get out of there with just the one [run against him],” Cleveland manager Terry Francona said after the game. “So that was encouraging because their guy also had to come out of the game. And the way he’s throwing, you feel OK about it.”
Masterson lost both of his starts against the Red Sox last season, allowing a combined nine runs on 17 hits over 11 innings. Masterson is 3-3 with a 4.23 ERA in seven career starts against the Sox.
Red Sox vs. Masterson (RHP)
A.J. Pierzynski (39 plate appearances): .389 AVG/.395 OBP/.500 SLG, 4 doubles, 4 RBIs, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (20): .211/.250/.211, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
David Ortiz (18): .267/.389/.467, 1 HR, 2 RBIs, 3 walks, 5 strikeouts
Mike Carp (9): .444/.444/1.222, 1 HR, 1 triple, 2 doubles, 4 RBIs, 2 strikeouts
Daniel Nava (9): .500/.667/.667, 1 double, 2 RBIs
Grady Sizemore (4): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
David Ross (3): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Jonny Gomes struck out in his lone plate appearance.
Indians vs. Lackey (RHP)
Jason Giambi (47 plate appearances): .325 AVG/.426 OBP/.600 SLG, 3 HR, 2 doubles, 7 RBIs, 5 walks, 5 strikeouts
Asdrubal Cabrera (25): .174/.240/.304, 1 HR, 2 RBIs, 1 walk, 7 strikeouts
David Murphy (23): .368/.455/.579, 1 triple, 2 doubles, 1 RBI, 3 walks, 4 strikeouts
Jason Kipnis (6): .250/.500/.500, 1 double, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Michael Brantley (5): .400/.400/.600, 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Michael Bourn: (3): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Lonnie Chisenhall (3): .000/.000/.000
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller