Red Sox injury news: Felix Doubront slated to start for Double-A Portland Thursday
|06.03.14 at 8:00 pm ET|
Doubront has been out of action since he went on the 15-day disabled list with a left shoulder strain May 21.
‘He threw the ball well,” Red Sox manager John Farrell said of Doubront’s side session. “He feels confident that the arm speed is getting out of his hand consistent with outings prior to coming off the mound.”
The lefty struggled in his most recent outing, giving up five runs over four innings against Toronto on May 20. Prior to the start against the Blue Jays, he had turned in back-to-back solid outings, allowing a combined two runs over 11 2/3 innings.
In other injury news:
— Catcher/first baseman Ryan Lavarnway underwent surgery on his left hamate bone, with Dr. Thomas Graham performing the operation. Farrell estimated a 5-7 week recovery period before Lavarnway could resume baseball activities.
— Shane Victorino is slowly starting some running activities while recovering from the right hamstring issue that put the outfielder on the 15-day disabled list May 24. According to a team source, the plan right now is for Victorino to start a rehab outing after the Red Sox complete their current nine-game road trip (which would be June 12).
“Ground-based activities are starting to initiate, so that’s some running that’s going to take place,” said Farrell of Victorino, who would be eligible to come off the DL Friday. “We’re still too early to determine when he’d be ready for any kind of at-bats or a rehab assignment.”
— Will Middlebrooks, who got the splint off his fractured right pointer finger Monday, is still a ways off from baseball activities.
“Still trying to gain full range of motion with the index finger,” Farrell said. “That’s not there yet. He won’t start to swing a bat until he’s able to gain full range of motion, which would indicate that the healing of the fracture is moving along as anticipated. He’s still in kind of an inactive period.”
Middlebrooks has been fitted for glasses when he returns to action, having experimented with contact lenses earlier in the season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs