Red Sox injury news: Felix Doubront slated to start for Double-A Portland Thursday
|06.03.14 at 8:00 pm ET|
Doubront has been out of action since he went on the 15-day disabled list with a left shoulder strain May 21.
‘He threw the ball well,” Red Sox manager John Farrell said of Doubront’s side session. “He feels confident that the arm speed is getting out of his hand consistent with outings prior to coming off the mound.”
The lefty struggled in his most recent outing, giving up five runs over four innings against Toronto on May 20. Prior to the start against the Blue Jays, he had turned in back-to-back solid outings, allowing a combined two runs over 11 2/3 innings.
In other injury news:
— Catcher/first baseman Ryan Lavarnway underwent surgery on his left hamate bone, with Dr. Thomas Graham performing the operation. Farrell estimated a 5-7 week recovery period before Lavarnway could resume baseball activities.
— Shane Victorino is slowly starting some running activities while recovering from the right hamstring issue that put the outfielder on the 15-day disabled list May 24. According to a team source, the plan right now is for Victorino to start a rehab outing after the Red Sox complete their current nine-game road trip (which would be June 12).
“Ground-based activities are starting to initiate, so that’s some running that’s going to take place,” said Farrell of Victorino, who would be eligible to come off the DL Friday. “We’re still too early to determine when he’d be ready for any kind of at-bats or a rehab assignment.”
— Will Middlebrooks, who got the splint off his fractured right pointer finger Monday, is still a ways off from baseball activities.
“Still trying to gain full range of motion with the index finger,” Farrell said. “That’s not there yet. He won’t start to swing a bat until he’s able to gain full range of motion, which would indicate that the healing of the fracture is moving along as anticipated. He’s still in kind of an inactive period.”
Middlebrooks has been fitted for glasses when he returns to action, having experimented with contact lenses earlier in the season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler
- Red Sox announce front office moves
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Playoffs begin, Marban pitches well in Australia
- Betts, Castillo highlight Red Sox Rookie Development Program participants