Red Sox injury news: Felix Doubront slated to start for Double-A Portland Thursday
|06.03.14 at 8:00 pm ET|
Doubront has been out of action since he went on the 15-day disabled list with a left shoulder strain May 21.
‘He threw the ball well,” Red Sox manager John Farrell said of Doubront’s side session. “He feels confident that the arm speed is getting out of his hand consistent with outings prior to coming off the mound.”
The lefty struggled in his most recent outing, giving up five runs over four innings against Toronto on May 20. Prior to the start against the Blue Jays, he had turned in back-to-back solid outings, allowing a combined two runs over 11 2/3 innings.
In other injury news:
– Catcher/first baseman Ryan Lavarnway underwent surgery on his left hamate bone, with Dr. Thomas Graham performing the operation. Farrell estimated a 5-7 week recovery period before Lavarnway could resume baseball activities.
– Shane Victorino is slowly starting some running activities while recovering from the right hamstring issue that put the outfielder on the 15-day disabled list May 24. According to a team source, the plan right now is for Victorino to start a rehab outing after the Red Sox complete their current nine-game road trip (which would be June 12).
“Ground-based activities are starting to initiate, so that’s some running that’s going to take place,” said Farrell of Victorino, who would be eligible to come off the DL Friday. “We’re still too early to determine when he’d be ready for any kind of at-bats or a rehab assignment.”
– Will Middlebrooks, who got the splint off his fractured right pointer finger Monday, is still a ways off from baseball activities.
“Still trying to gain full range of motion with the index finger,” Farrell said. “That’s not there yet. He won’t start to swing a bat until he’s able to gain full range of motion, which would indicate that the healing of the fracture is moving along as anticipated. He’s still in kind of an inactive period.”
Middlebrooks has been fitted for glasses when he returns to action, having experimented with contact lenses earlier in the season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- ESPN Boston: Farm clubs faring well
- Cup of Coffee: Rusney Castillo debuts, PawSox clinch wild card
- Red Sox acquire infielders Jemile Weeks and Ivan De Jesus
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Light dominate, GCL takes game one
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson keeps rolling, GCL wins semifinal
- Cup of Coffee: Gonzalez leads combined no-hitter in DSL Playoff opener
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split
- Players of the Week, 8/18-24: Brian Johnson & Mike Miller
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title
- Marrero and Coyle headed to Arizona Fall League