Tuesday’s Red Sox-Indians matchups: Jake Peavy vs. T.J. House
|06.03.14 at 9:02 am ET|
Peavy (1-2, 4.50 ERA) was efficient in his last start on May 29 against the Braves, holding Atlanta to three earned runs over a season-high eight innings. It was a return to form for the former Cy Young Award winner, as Peavy had allowed a total of 16 earned runs over his three previous starts.
Despite his solid start, Peavy was in line for the loss, as the Red Sox trailed 3-1 in the eighth inning. Peavy would be saved from a loss in the bottom of the frame, as Boston rallied for two runs to tie the game. The Sox would score again in the bottom of the ninth, as a Xander Bogaerts single and an error from Braves second baseman Tommy La Stella allowed Jackie Bradley Jr. to score, giving Boston the 4-3 victory.
“The boys battled hard,” Peavy said. “Their guy [Braves starter Mike Minor] did a really good job, but we stayed in it, caught some breaks early and got some big hits late and caught some breaks there in the ninth.”
Peavy’s last start against the Indians came on April 14, 2013, when Peavy was still a member of the White Sox. In that appearance, Peavy was dominant, holding Cleveland to just one run over seven innings while striking out 11.
In 11 career starts against the Indians, Peavy is 5-3 with a 3.93 ERA.
House (0-1. 4.05 ERA) was excellent for Cleveland in his second big league start, holding the White Sox to one earned run while striking out eight over 6 1/3 innings on May 28.
House, selected in the 16th round of the 2008 draft, was called up from the Columbus Clippers, Cleveland’s Triple-A affiliate, on May 17. In seven starts with Columbus, House was 1-2 with a 2.40 ERA.
He has not faced the Red Sox in his career.
Red Sox vs. House (LHP)
No Red Sox batters have faced House.
Indians vs. Peavy (RHP)
Asdrubal Cabrera (20): .250/.250/.450, 1 home run, 1 RBI
Michael Brantley (19): .211/.211/.263, 1 double, 4 RBI
Ryan Raburn (13): .250/.231/.750, 2 home run, 8 RBIs
Jason Kipnis (9): .250/.333/1.000, 2 home run, 4 RBIs
David Murphy (9): .250/.333/.500, 2 doubles, 1 walk
Mike Aviles (8): .250/.250/.250, 2 singles, 1 strikeout
Jason Giambi (8): .125/.125/.250, 1 double, 1 RBI
Michael Bourn (6): .600/.667/1.200, 1 home run, 1 RBI
Lonnie Chisenhall (5): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Yan Gomes (2): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
George Kottaras (2): .000/.500/.000, 1 walk
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven