Tuesday’s Red Sox-Indians matchups: Jake Peavy vs. T.J. House
|06.03.14 at 9:02 am ET|
Peavy (1-2, 4.50 ERA) was efficient in his last start on May 29 against the Braves, holding Atlanta to three earned runs over a season-high eight innings. It was a return to form for the former Cy Young Award winner, as Peavy had allowed a total of 16 earned runs over his three previous starts.
Despite his solid start, Peavy was in line for the loss, as the Red Sox trailed 3-1 in the eighth inning. Peavy would be saved from a loss in the bottom of the frame, as Boston rallied for two runs to tie the game. The Sox would score again in the bottom of the ninth, as a Xander Bogaerts single and an error from Braves second baseman Tommy La Stella allowed Jackie Bradley Jr. to score, giving Boston the 4-3 victory.
“The boys battled hard,” Peavy said. “Their guy [Braves starter Mike Minor] did a really good job, but we stayed in it, caught some breaks early and got some big hits late and caught some breaks there in the ninth.”
Peavy’s last start against the Indians came on April 14, 2013, when Peavy was still a member of the White Sox. In that appearance, Peavy was dominant, holding Cleveland to just one run over seven innings while striking out 11.
In 11 career starts against the Indians, Peavy is 5-3 with a 3.93 ERA.
House (0-1. 4.05 ERA) was excellent for Cleveland in his second big league start, holding the White Sox to one earned run while striking out eight over 6 1/3 innings on May 28.
House, selected in the 16th round of the 2008 draft, was called up from the Columbus Clippers, Cleveland’s Triple-A affiliate, on May 17. In seven starts with Columbus, House was 1-2 with a 2.40 ERA.
He has not faced the Red Sox in his career.
Red Sox vs. House (LHP)
No Red Sox batters have faced House.
Indians vs. Peavy (RHP)
Asdrubal Cabrera (20): .250/.250/.450, 1 home run, 1 RBI
Michael Brantley (19): .211/.211/.263, 1 double, 4 RBI
Ryan Raburn (13): .250/.231/.750, 2 home run, 8 RBIs
Jason Kipnis (9): .250/.333/1.000, 2 home run, 4 RBIs
David Murphy (9): .250/.333/.500, 2 doubles, 1 walk
Mike Aviles (8): .250/.250/.250, 2 singles, 1 strikeout
Jason Giambi (8): .125/.125/.250, 1 double, 1 RBI
Michael Bourn (6): .600/.667/1.200, 1 home run, 1 RBI
Lonnie Chisenhall (5): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Yan Gomes (2): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
George Kottaras (2): .000/.500/.000, 1 walk
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster