Tuesday’s Red Sox-Indians matchups: Jake Peavy vs. T.J. House
|06.03.14 at 9:02 am ET|
Peavy (1-2, 4.50 ERA) was efficient in his last start on May 29 against the Braves, holding Atlanta to three earned runs over a season-high eight innings. It was a return to form for the former Cy Young Award winner, as Peavy had allowed a total of 16 earned runs over his three previous starts.
Despite his solid start, Peavy was in line for the loss, as the Red Sox trailed 3-1 in the eighth inning. Peavy would be saved from a loss in the bottom of the frame, as Boston rallied for two runs to tie the game. The Sox would score again in the bottom of the ninth, as a Xander Bogaerts single and an error from Braves second baseman Tommy La Stella allowed Jackie Bradley Jr. to score, giving Boston the 4-3 victory.
“The boys battled hard,” Peavy said. “Their guy [Braves starter Mike Minor] did a really good job, but we stayed in it, caught some breaks early and got some big hits late and caught some breaks there in the ninth.”
Peavy’s last start against the Indians came on April 14, 2013, when Peavy was still a member of the White Sox. In that appearance, Peavy was dominant, holding Cleveland to just one run over seven innings while striking out 11.
In 11 career starts against the Indians, Peavy is 5-3 with a 3.93 ERA.
House (0-1. 4.05 ERA) was excellent for Cleveland in his second big league start, holding the White Sox to one earned run while striking out eight over 6 1/3 innings on May 28.
House, selected in the 16th round of the 2008 draft, was called up from the Columbus Clippers, Cleveland’s Triple-A affiliate, on May 17. In seven starts with Columbus, House was 1-2 with a 2.40 ERA.
He has not faced the Red Sox in his career.
Red Sox vs. House (LHP)
No Red Sox batters have faced House.
Indians vs. Peavy (RHP)
Asdrubal Cabrera (20): .250/.250/.450, 1 home run, 1 RBI
Michael Brantley (19): .211/.211/.263, 1 double, 4 RBI
Ryan Raburn (13): .250/.231/.750, 2 home run, 8 RBIs
Jason Kipnis (9): .250/.333/1.000, 2 home run, 4 RBIs
David Murphy (9): .250/.333/.500, 2 doubles, 1 walk
Mike Aviles (8): .250/.250/.250, 2 singles, 1 strikeout
Jason Giambi (8): .125/.125/.250, 1 double, 1 RBI
Michael Bourn (6): .600/.667/1.200, 1 home run, 1 RBI
Lonnie Chisenhall (5): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Yan Gomes (2): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
George Kottaras (2): .000/.500/.000, 1 walk
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins