Wednesday’s Red Sox-Indians matchups: Brandon Workman vs. Corey Kluber
|06.04.14 at 8:56 am ET|
The Red Sox end their three-game series in Cleveland on Wednesday when Brandon Workman opposes Corey Kluber.
Workman (0-0, 3.24 ERA) will make his third start of the season Wednesday night in place of the injured Felx Doubront. Each of his first two starts for the Red Sox this season came against the Rays, and both were overshadowed by benches-clearing incidents. The May 25 dustup at Tropicana Field came in the eighth inning, well after Workman completed his five-inning outing. On Friday, Workman got involved in the action when he was tossed in the sixth inning for throwing a pitch behind Evan Longoria. Both sides had been issued warnings earlier in the game after David Price plunked David Ortiz in the first.
“The ball was slick and it slipped out of my hand,’ Workman said after the game. On Tuesday, he was handed a fine and suspension for the throw at Longoria, but is eligible to pitch Wednesday while he appeals the penalty.
The right-hander allowed two runs on four hits and three walks with four strikeouts over 5 1/3 innings in Friday’s appearance. He took a no-decision in each of his first two starts but has proven to be reliable for the Red Sox this season. Workman has allowed five runs on nine hits in 10 1/3 innings as a starter in 2014.
“Brandon, in a young stage of his career, brings a certain level of dependability and us knowing what he’s going to give us,” manager John Farrell said.
Workman has never faced the Indians or any members of the current lineup in his major league career.
Kluber (6-3, 3.04) has been by far Cleveland’s most reliable pitcher this season, and has recently established himself as one of the best arms in the American League. The righty hasn’t lost a start since April 29, and has fanned at least eight batters in each of his last six starts.
Kluber was especially dominant in May. He went 4-0 with a 2.09 ERA with 60 strikeouts and just eight walks. Only he and Yu Darvish (August 2013) have compiled 60 strikeouts in a single month in the last 10 seasons. The 28-year-old struck out 12 batters in his last start on May 30. He have up two runs on five hits over 7 1/3 innings in a 5-2 Indians win over Colorado.
“It’s fun to write his name in the lineup every five days,” Indians manager Terry Francona said after the game. “He continues to get better and better. He’s got power, movement and command. He’s pretty good.”
Kluber made his lone start against the Red Sox on May 26, 2013, in a 6-5 Boston win at Fenway Park. He allowed just one run on three hits with a walk and 10 strikeouts over 6 2/3 innings, but took a no-decision after the bullpen blew a late lead.
Red Sox vs. Kluber (RHP)
A.J. Pierzynski (11 plate appearances): .300 AVG/ .364 OBP/.600 SLG, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (6): .200/.333/.400, 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
David Ortiz (3): .000/.000/.000
Mike Carp is hitless with a strikeout in his two plate appearances.
Indians vs. Workman (RHP)
No Indians batters have faced Workman.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins