A.J. Pierzynski on ejection: ‘The timing was a little odd’
|06.05.14 at 2:57 am ET|
CLEVELAND — It was the sixth inning, but by the time the Red Sox dropped their 7-4 decision in 12 innings to the Indians early Thursday morning, A.J. Pierzynski‘s sixth-inning ejection seemed like a lifetime ago.
(In reality, he wasn’t around for two at-bats.)
Pierzynski was tossed by home plate umpire Quinn Wolcott after a leadoff walk in the sixth by Red Sox starter Brandon Workman. Following the fourth ball, the Red Sox catcher exchanged words with Wolcott while asking for a new ball. Before the umpire could complete the exchange with Pierzynski, he had thrown out the Sox’ No. 5 hitter.
“I don’t know. It happens,” Pierzynski said after being replaced by David Ross, who went 0-for-2 with two strikeouts. “Just the timing was rather odd. But you know, whatever. Stuff happens out there.
“I’ve been kicked out a couple of times in my career. I remember getting kicked out last year in a no-hitter. Stuff happens.”
When asked what was said, Pierzynski was non-committal.
“We didn’t agree on what time the game should have started,” he said sarcastically. “I said it should have started a little earlier, he said a little late. We just didn’t get along as far as that went.”
Later Pierzynski was a tad more forthcoming, saying, “Stuff happens. Sometimes you say the wrong thing, and they feel a need, and stuff happens.”
Red Sox manager John Farrell also had no desire to elaborate on the ejection after the loss.
“They weren’t seeing eye to eye on some things,” he said. “He threw him out.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut