Red Sox grab Alabama outfielder Ben Moore in eighth round
|06.06.14 at 5:55 pm ET|
In the eighth round, the Red Sox added a college position player in Ben Moore from the University of Alabama. The 21-year-old burst onto the scene as a freshman All-American in 2012, when he hit .342 with a .412 OBP and .432 slugging mark. The average and OBP ultimately represented high-water marks for his college career. However, he bounced back from something of a down year as a sophomore to hit .305/.367/.481 as a junior, with his nine homers (in 61 games) exceeding his total from his prior two years, earning second-team all-SEC honors in the process. Moore shows impressive command of the strike zone, as evidenced by the fact that he walked nearly as much (63 times) as he struck out (71); he was the toughest hitter to strike out in the SEC in 2014. Though Moore caught early in his college career, he rarely played anything but the outfield after his freshman year.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins