Red Sox lineup: Jonathan Herrera at shortstop, A.J. Pierzynski catching against LHP Drew Smyly
|06.06.14 at 3:12 pm ET|
With left-hander Drew Smyly on the mound for the Tigers, Jonathan Herrera gets a start at shortstop over Stephen Drew as the Red Sox open a three-game series in Detroit. Even with Drew out of the lineup, Xander Bogaerts will remain at third base to provide the Red Sox with lineup stability.
Even with a southpaw on the mound, A.J. Pierzynski will get the start over David Ross behind the plate, perhaps a testament to the productive pairing of Pierzynski and Friday’s starter, Rubby De La Rosa, when De La Rosa made his first big league start in three years last Saturday.
RED SOX LINEUP
Brock Holt, 1B
Xander Bogaerts, 3B
Dustin Pedroia, 2B
David Ortiz, DH
Jonny Gomes, LF
A.J. Pierzynski, C
Grady Sizemore, RF
Jonathan Herrera, SS
Jackie Bradley Jr., CF
Rubby De La Rosa, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks, Dubon debut at Double-A, Lowell wins again
- Sources: Mauricio Dubon promoted to Portland
- Scouting Scratch: Michael Kopech
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada stays hot in Portland; Lowell improves to 6-0
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada makes Double-A debut; Owens dominates for PawSox
- Cup of Coffee: Holt doubles twice in first rehab appearance