Red Sox lineup: Jonathan Herrera at shortstop, A.J. Pierzynski catching against LHP Drew Smyly
|06.06.14 at 3:12 pm ET|
With left-hander Drew Smyly on the mound for the Tigers, Jonathan Herrera gets a start at shortstop over Stephen Drew as the Red Sox open a three-game series in Detroit. Even with Drew out of the lineup, Xander Bogaerts will remain at third base to provide the Red Sox with lineup stability.
Even with a southpaw on the mound, A.J. Pierzynski will get the start over David Ross behind the plate, perhaps a testament to the productive pairing of Pierzynski and Friday’s starter, Rubby De La Rosa, when De La Rosa made his first big league start in three years last Saturday.
RED SOX LINEUP
Brock Holt, 1B
Xander Bogaerts, 3B
Dustin Pedroia, 2B
David Ortiz, DH
Jonny Gomes, LF
A.J. Pierzynski, C
Grady Sizemore, RF
Jonathan Herrera, SS
Jackie Bradley Jr., CF
Rubby De La Rosa, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- SoxProspects Staff Announcement: Promotions and new hires!
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday