Red Sox select outfielder/LHP Cole Sturgeon in 10th round
|06.06.14 at 7:13 pm ET|
The left-handed hitting, left-handed throwing Sturgeon hit .325 with a .410 OBP, .468 slugging mark, two homers and 18 steals as a senior, wrapping up a four-year career in which he showed consistently solid averages and OBPs as well as low strikeout numbers.
He also proved a strong mound contributor as a left-handed pitcher, going 3-0 with a 2.06 ERA in 24 games, with 35 strikeouts and 14 walks in 34 innings while holding opponents to a .161 average. However, his pick was announced as an outfielder (though it’s worth noting that the selection of Alex Hassan in 2009 was announced as a pitcher, but he ultimately signed as an outfielder).
As a college senior, he lacks negotiating leverage, meaning that the Red Sox can likely sign him for less than the slot recommendation and thus reallocate some of the bonus pool money available to them (a figure determined by the recommended slot bonuses of the first 10 rounds of the draft) for other picks.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies