Red Sox select outfielder/LHP Cole Sturgeon in 10th round
|06.06.14 at 7:13 pm ET|
The left-handed hitting, left-handed throwing Sturgeon hit .325 with a .410 OBP, .468 slugging mark, two homers and 18 steals as a senior, wrapping up a four-year career in which he showed consistently solid averages and OBPs as well as low strikeout numbers.
He also proved a strong mound contributor as a left-handed pitcher, going 3-0 with a 2.06 ERA in 24 games, with 35 strikeouts and 14 walks in 34 innings while holding opponents to a .161 average. However, his pick was announced as an outfielder (though it’s worth noting that the selection of Alex Hassan in 2009 was announced as a pitcher, but he ultimately signed as an outfielder).
As a college senior, he lacks negotiating leverage, meaning that the Red Sox can likely sign him for less than the slot recommendation and thus reallocate some of the bonus pool money available to them (a figure determined by the recommended slot bonuses of the first 10 rounds of the draft) for other picks.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles