Red Sox select outfielder/LHP Cole Sturgeon in 10th round
|06.06.14 at 7:13 pm ET|
The left-handed hitting, left-handed throwing Sturgeon hit .325 with a .410 OBP, .468 slugging mark, two homers and 18 steals as a senior, wrapping up a four-year career in which he showed consistently solid averages and OBPs as well as low strikeout numbers.
He also proved a strong mound contributor as a left-handed pitcher, going 3-0 with a 2.06 ERA in 24 games, with 35 strikeouts and 14 walks in 34 innings while holding opponents to a .161 average. However, his pick was announced as an outfielder (though it’s worth noting that the selection of Alex Hassan in 2009 was announced as a pitcher, but he ultimately signed as an outfielder).
As a college senior, he lacks negotiating leverage, meaning that the Red Sox can likely sign him for less than the slot recommendation and thus reallocate some of the bonus pool money available to them (a figure determined by the recommended slot bonuses of the first 10 rounds of the draft) for other picks.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster