Red Sox select outfielder/LHP Cole Sturgeon in 10th round
|06.06.14 at 7:13 pm ET|
The left-handed hitting, left-handed throwing Sturgeon hit .325 with a .410 OBP, .468 slugging mark, two homers and 18 steals as a senior, wrapping up a four-year career in which he showed consistently solid averages and OBPs as well as low strikeout numbers.
He also proved a strong mound contributor as a left-handed pitcher, going 3-0 with a 2.06 ERA in 24 games, with 35 strikeouts and 14 walks in 34 innings while holding opponents to a .161 average. However, his pick was announced as an outfielder (though it’s worth noting that the selection of Alex Hassan in 2009 was announced as a pitcher, but he ultimately signed as an outfielder).
As a college senior, he lacks negotiating leverage, meaning that the Red Sox can likely sign him for less than the slot recommendation and thus reallocate some of the bonus pool money available to them (a figure determined by the recommended slot bonuses of the first 10 rounds of the draft) for other picks.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston