Red Sox select outfielder/LHP Cole Sturgeon in 10th round
|06.06.14 at 7:13 pm ET|
The left-handed hitting, left-handed throwing Sturgeon hit .325 with a .410 OBP, .468 slugging mark, two homers and 18 steals as a senior, wrapping up a four-year career in which he showed consistently solid averages and OBPs as well as low strikeout numbers.
He also proved a strong mound contributor as a left-handed pitcher, going 3-0 with a 2.06 ERA in 24 games, with 35 strikeouts and 14 walks in 34 innings while holding opponents to a .161 average. However, his pick was announced as an outfielder (though it’s worth noting that the selection of Alex Hassan in 2009 was announced as a pitcher, but he ultimately signed as an outfielder).
As a college senior, he lacks negotiating leverage, meaning that the Red Sox can likely sign him for less than the slot recommendation and thus reallocate some of the bonus pool money available to them (a figure determined by the recommended slot bonuses of the first 10 rounds of the draft) for other picks.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd, Rei highlight quiet night in system
- System Restart '17: Upper-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Shawaryn strikes out nine as Drive cruise
- Minor Notes: Workman dominant in PawSox bullpen
- The Write-Up: Jalen Beeks
- Cup of Coffee: Olt leads Sea Dogs to walkoff win
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks tosses complete-game shutout
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Victor Garcia
- Cup of Coffee: Ockimey homers twice, Salem sweeps twin bill
- The Write-Up: Teddy Stankiewicz