Red Sox tab slugging high school first baseman Josh Ockimey in fifth round
|06.06.14 at 3:23 pm ET|
With their fifth-round pick (No. 164 overall), the Red Sox selected first baseman Josh Ockimey out of Neumann Goretti High School in Philadelphia. Ockimey, 18, is something of a giant, already standing at 6-foot-4 and 220 pound. Ockimey has a commitment to Indiana University — where he presumably would be the heir apparent to first baseman Sam Travis, whom the Red Sox took out of Indiana in the second round.
The Sox, according to this story, had worked out Ockimey at Fenway Park last fall, where as a left-handed masher, he showed plenty of power to clear the fences in right.
“To do that at a historic ballpark was pretty special,” the senior first baseman said in this article. “I think one of the shots measured about 420 to 430 feet.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox acquire infielders Jemile Weeks and Ivan De Jesus
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Light dominate, GCL takes game one
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson keeps rolling, GCL wins semifinal
- Cup of Coffee: Gonzalez leads combined no-hitter in DSL Playoff opener
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split
- Players of the Week, 8/18-24: Brian Johnson & Mike Miller
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title
- Marrero and Coyle headed to Arizona Fall League
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis rips first career home run in GCL Sox win
- Weekly Notes: Battle for CF heats up with new addition