Red Sox tab slugging high school first baseman Josh Ockimey in fifth round
|06.06.14 at 3:23 pm ET|
With their fifth-round pick (No. 164 overall), the Red Sox selected first baseman Josh Ockimey out of Neumann Goretti High School in Philadelphia. Ockimey, 18, is something of a giant, already standing at 6-foot-4 and 220 pound. Ockimey has a commitment to Indiana University — where he presumably would be the heir apparent to first baseman Sam Travis, whom the Red Sox took out of Indiana in the second round.
The Sox, according to this story, had worked out Ockimey at Fenway Park last fall, where as a left-handed masher, he showed plenty of power to clear the fences in right.
“To do that at a historic ballpark was pretty special,” the senior first baseman said in this article. “I think one of the shots measured about 420 to 430 feet.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Garin Cecchini and Yoan Aybar
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Kevin McAvoy and Bryce Brentz
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis leads way as Scottsdale wins AFL title
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Lakins and Jalen Beeks
- Light, Jerez, and Hernandez added to 40-man roster
- Light, Hernandez top list of potential Friday roster additions
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Christopher Acosta and Ben Taylor
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Austin Glorius and Jordan Procyshen
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis blasts walk-off home run
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Chandler Shepherd and Kyle Martin