Red Sox tab slugging high school first baseman Josh Ockimey in fifth round
|06.06.14 at 3:23 pm ET|
With their fifth-round pick (No. 164 overall), the Red Sox selected first baseman Josh Ockimey out of Neumann Goretti High School in Philadelphia. Ockimey, 18, is something of a giant, already standing at 6-foot-4 and 220 pound. Ockimey has a commitment to Indiana University — where he presumably would be the heir apparent to first baseman Sam Travis, whom the Red Sox took out of Indiana in the second round.
The Sox, according to this story, had worked out Ockimey at Fenway Park last fall, where as a left-handed masher, he showed plenty of power to clear the fences in right.
“To do that at a historic ballpark was pretty special,” the senior first baseman said in this article. “I think one of the shots measured about 420 to 430 feet.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Database Coordinator
- January Notes: Red Sox extend contract with Greenville
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Champions crowned as play concludes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Championship series underway
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Blake Swihart
- Help Wanted: Writers, Editors
- Red Sox bring back Dan Butler on minor league deal
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramos and Castillo combine for 16 hits
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Henry Owens