Red Sox tab slugging high school first baseman Josh Ockimey in fifth round
|06.06.14 at 3:23 pm ET|
With their fifth-round pick (No. 164 overall), the Red Sox selected first baseman Josh Ockimey out of Neumann Goretti High School in Philadelphia. Ockimey, 18, is something of a giant, already standing at 6-foot-4 and 220 pound. Ockimey has a commitment to Indiana University — where he presumably would be the heir apparent to first baseman Sam Travis, whom the Red Sox took out of Indiana in the second round.
The Sox, according to this story, had worked out Ockimey at Fenway Park last fall, where as a left-handed masher, he showed plenty of power to clear the fences in right.
“To do that at a historic ballpark was pretty special,” the senior first baseman said in this article. “I think one of the shots measured about 420 to 430 feet.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- November Notes: Prospect rankings and new CBA
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez belts walk-off home run
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Devers, Hernandez stand out in Dominican winter league
- Podcast Ep. #109: Alex Speier on Ranking the System
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez debuts, Tavarez, Mars stay hot
- Podcast Ep. #108: 2016 Rankings Special
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Kopech continues to dominate
- October Notes: Fall ball and front office changes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada sidelined by thumb sprain
- Help Wanted: Web Editors & Social Media Specialists