Red Sox tab slugging high school first baseman Josh Ockimey in fifth round
|06.06.14 at 3:23 pm ET|
With their fifth-round pick (No. 164 overall), the Red Sox selected first baseman Josh Ockimey out of Neumann Goretti High School in Philadelphia. Ockimey, 18, is something of a giant, already standing at 6-foot-4 and 220 pound. Ockimey has a commitment to Indiana University — where he presumably would be the heir apparent to first baseman Sam Travis, whom the Red Sox took out of Indiana in the second round.
The Sox, according to this story, had worked out Ockimey at Fenway Park last fall, where as a left-handed masher, he showed plenty of power to clear the fences in right.
“To do that at a historic ballpark was pretty special,” the senior first baseman said in this article. “I think one of the shots measured about 420 to 430 feet.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller