Red Sox take Bryant University right-hander Kevin McAvoy in fourth round
|06.06.14 at 2:37 pm ET|
With their fourth-round pick (No. 134 overall), the Red Sox selected right-hander Kevin McAvoy, a 20-year-old right-hander out of Bryant University in Rhode Island. In 15 starts as a junior, McAvoy was 9-1 with a 2.62 ERA, 94 strikeouts and 28 walks in 99 1/3 innings. He’s 6-foot-3, 210 pounds after having put on about 30 pounds of muscle since his freshman year.
McAvoy pitched in both the New England College Baseball League (following his freshman year) and pitched for Yarmouth in the Cape League last summer, with a 4.64 ERA, 28 strikeouts and just seven walks in 31 innings.
Here’s a look at McAvoy throwing during Bryant’s fall pro day.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller