Red Sox take Bryant University right-hander Kevin McAvoy in fourth round
|06.06.14 at 2:37 pm ET|
With their fourth-round pick (No. 134 overall), the Red Sox selected right-hander Kevin McAvoy, a 20-year-old right-hander out of Bryant University in Rhode Island. In 15 starts as a junior, McAvoy was 9-1 with a 2.62 ERA, 94 strikeouts and 28 walks in 99 1/3 innings. He’s 6-foot-3, 210 pounds after having put on about 30 pounds of muscle since his freshman year.
McAvoy pitched in both the New England College Baseball League (following his freshman year) and pitched for Yarmouth in the Cape League last summer, with a 4.64 ERA, 28 strikeouts and just seven walks in 31 innings.
Here’s a look at McAvoy throwing during Bryant’s fall pro day.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez gets into a groove, Basabe impresses
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Dayan Diaz and Edwin Escobar (UPDATED)
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Garin Cecchini and Yoan Aybar
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Kevin McAvoy and Bryce Brentz
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis leads way as Scottsdale wins AFL title
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Lakins and Jalen Beeks
- Light, Jerez, and Hernandez added to 40-man roster
- Light, Hernandez top list of potential Friday roster additions
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Christopher Acosta and Ben Taylor
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Austin Glorius and Jordan Procyshen