Red Sox take Bryant University right-hander Kevin McAvoy in fourth round
|06.06.14 at 2:37 pm ET|
With their fourth-round pick (No. 134 overall), the Red Sox selected right-hander Kevin McAvoy, a 20-year-old right-hander out of Bryant University in Rhode Island. In 15 starts as a junior, McAvoy was 9-1 with a 2.62 ERA, 94 strikeouts and 28 walks in 99 1/3 innings. He’s 6-foot-3, 210 pounds after having put on about 30 pounds of muscle since his freshman year.
McAvoy pitched in both the New England College Baseball League (following his freshman year) and pitched for Yarmouth in the Cape League last summer, with a 4.64 ERA, 28 strikeouts and just seven walks in 31 innings.
Here’s a look at McAvoy throwing during Bryant’s fall pro day.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered