Red Sox take Bryant University right-hander Kevin McAvoy in fourth round
|06.06.14 at 2:37 pm ET|
With their fourth-round pick (No. 134 overall), the Red Sox selected right-hander Kevin McAvoy, a 20-year-old right-hander out of Bryant University in Rhode Island. In 15 starts as a junior, McAvoy was 9-1 with a 2.62 ERA, 94 strikeouts and 28 walks in 99 1/3 innings. He’s 6-foot-3, 210 pounds after having put on about 30 pounds of muscle since his freshman year.
McAvoy pitched in both the New England College Baseball League (following his freshman year) and pitched for Yarmouth in the Cape League last summer, with a 4.64 ERA, 28 strikeouts and just seven walks in 31 innings.
Here’s a look at McAvoy throwing during Bryant’s fall pro day.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles