Red Sox take Bryant University right-hander Kevin McAvoy in fourth round
|06.06.14 at 2:37 pm ET|
With their fourth-round pick (No. 134 overall), the Red Sox selected right-hander Kevin McAvoy, a 20-year-old right-hander out of Bryant University in Rhode Island. In 15 starts as a junior, McAvoy was 9-1 with a 2.62 ERA, 94 strikeouts and 28 walks in 99 1/3 innings. He’s 6-foot-3, 210 pounds after having put on about 30 pounds of muscle since his freshman year.
McAvoy pitched in both the New England College Baseball League (following his freshman year) and pitched for Yarmouth in the Cape League last summer, with a 4.64 ERA, 28 strikeouts and just seven walks in 31 innings.
Here’s a look at McAvoy throwing during Bryant’s fall pro day.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Top 40 in Review: Deven Marrero and Trey Ball
- Help Wanted: Writers
- Top 40 in Review: Michael Kopech and Sean Coyle
- Top 40 in Review: Wendell Rijo and Edwin Escobar
- Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Shaw and Sam Travis
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Marrero dominates in AFL
- Top 40 in Review: Nick Longhi and Teddy Stankiewicz
- Top 40 in Review: Heath Hembree and Steven Wright
- Top 40 Season in Review: Javier Guerra and Henry Ramos
- Top 40 in Review: Simon Mercedes and Carlos Asuaje