Red Sox take Cal Poly closer Reid Reilly in seventh round
|06.06.14 at 5:46 pm ET|
With their seventh round selection, the Red Sox took a college closer, nabbing right-hander Reid Reilly of Cal Poly. Reilly had a 1.74 ERA, 53 punchouts and 17 walks in 2014 while holding opponents to a .151 average in 47 1/3 innings. He recorded 12 saves, down from his school-record 14 saves in his sophomore year. Reilly was taken as a draft eligible sophomore by the Orioles in the 18th round of the 2013 draft, but elected to return. At 6-foot-4 and 220 pounds, the 22-year-old fits the Red Sox‘ preferred mold of mound giants.
Here’s Baseball America’s scouting report on him:
“Reilly has a durable 6-foot-4, 220-pound frame and some deception in his crossfire delivery, which makes his fastball play up. He pitches primarily with his fastball and dominates with it, sitting at 88-91 mph and bumping 93-94, especially early in the year. He induces plenty of ground balls and strikes out more than a batter an inning, even though his secondary stuff lags behind his fastball. His best offspeed pitch is a solid-average changeup; his curveball is usually below-average, though it flashes average. Some scouts have seen a promising slider from him, but he seldom throws it.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks, Dubon debut at Double-A, Lowell wins again