Red Sox take Cal Poly closer Reid Reilly in seventh round
|06.06.14 at 5:46 pm ET|
With their seventh round selection, the Red Sox took a college closer, nabbing right-hander Reid Reilly of Cal Poly. Reilly had a 1.74 ERA, 53 punchouts and 17 walks in 2014 while holding opponents to a .151 average in 47 1/3 innings. He recorded 12 saves, down from his school-record 14 saves in his sophomore year. Reilly was taken as a draft eligible sophomore by the Orioles in the 18th round of the 2013 draft, but elected to return. At 6-foot-4 and 220 pounds, the 22-year-old fits the Red Sox‘ preferred mold of mound giants.
Here’s Baseball America’s scouting report on him:
“Reilly has a durable 6-foot-4, 220-pound frame and some deception in his crossfire delivery, which makes his fastball play up. He pitches primarily with his fastball and dominates with it, sitting at 88-91 mph and bumping 93-94, especially early in the year. He induces plenty of ground balls and strikes out more than a batter an inning, even though his secondary stuff lags behind his fastball. His best offspeed pitch is a solid-average changeup; his curveball is usually below-average, though it flashes average. Some scouts have seen a promising slider from him, but he seldom throws it.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies