Red Sox take Cal Poly closer Reid Reilly in seventh round
|06.06.14 at 5:46 pm ET|
With their seventh round selection, the Red Sox took a college closer, nabbing right-hander Reid Reilly of Cal Poly. Reilly had a 1.74 ERA, 53 punchouts and 17 walks in 2014 while holding opponents to a .151 average in 47 1/3 innings. He recorded 12 saves, down from his school-record 14 saves in his sophomore year. Reilly was taken as a draft eligible sophomore by the Orioles in the 18th round of the 2013 draft, but elected to return. At 6-foot-4 and 220 pounds, the 22-year-old fits the Red Sox‘ preferred mold of mound giants.
Here’s Baseball America’s scouting report on him:
“Reilly has a durable 6-foot-4, 220-pound frame and some deception in his crossfire delivery, which makes his fastball play up. He pitches primarily with his fastball and dominates with it, sitting at 88-91 mph and bumping 93-94, especially early in the year. He induces plenty of ground balls and strikes out more than a batter an inning, even though his secondary stuff lags behind his fastball. His best offspeed pitch is a solid-average changeup; his curveball is usually below-average, though it flashes average. Some scouts have seen a promising slider from him, but he seldom throws it.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins