Red Sox use sixth-round pick on junior college center fielder Danny Mars
|06.06.14 at 4:14 pm ET|
With their sixth-round pick (No. 194 overall), the Red Sox selected switch-hitting outfielder Danny Mars, a 20-year-old from Chipola College. Mars hit .380/.460/.584 with four homers and 25 steals in 2014. Evidently, he’s a soccer fan, as he cites Neymar as his favorite athlete. He is slated to transfer to Florida State for his junior year if he does not sign with the Sox:
Here is the Baseball America scouting report on Mars:
“After an injury-riddled first year at Chipola, Mars has emerged on a talented team that as usual should contribute several players to the draft. Scouts like the way Mars plays the game. The switch-hitter should be able to produce a good average with a line-drive stroke that is quick to the ball, and he batted .380/.460/.584 this year. His below-average power is mostly to the gaps and he shows on-base ability with walks in 15 percent of his plate appearances versus strikeouts in 10 percent. Mars is a plus runner who gets out of the box well. While he has the ability to play center field, he is not a plus defender. The 20-year-old has a below-average arm and his power doesn’t profile in a corner, but he has the versatility and athleticism to play all three outfield spots.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players