Red Sox use sixth-round pick on junior college center fielder Danny Mars
|06.06.14 at 4:14 pm ET|
With their sixth-round pick (No. 194 overall), the Red Sox selected switch-hitting outfielder Danny Mars, a 20-year-old from Chipola College. Mars hit .380/.460/.584 with four homers and 25 steals in 2014. Evidently, he’s a soccer fan, as he cites Neymar as his favorite athlete. He is slated to transfer to Florida State for his junior year if he does not sign with the Sox:
Here is the Baseball America scouting report on Mars:
“After an injury-riddled first year at Chipola, Mars has emerged on a talented team that as usual should contribute several players to the draft. Scouts like the way Mars plays the game. The switch-hitter should be able to produce a good average with a line-drive stroke that is quick to the ball, and he batted .380/.460/.584 this year. His below-average power is mostly to the gaps and he shows on-base ability with walks in 15 percent of his plate appearances versus strikeouts in 10 percent. Mars is a plus runner who gets out of the box well. While he has the ability to play center field, he is not a plus defender. The 20-year-old has a below-average arm and his power doesn’t profile in a corner, but he has the versatility and athleticism to play all three outfield spots.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot