Red Sox activate Mike Napoli from DL, option Alex Hassan to Triple-A
|06.08.14 at 10:08 pm ET|
A much-missed bat returned to the middle of the Red Sox lineup on Sunday night, as Mike Napoli was activated from the disabled list after missing 15 days with a sprained finger on his left hand. The 32-year-old was placed on the disabled list on May 25 (retroactive to May 24) as a result of an injury first incurred when Napoli dislocated his finger with a headfirst slide on April 15.
Napoli entered Sunday with a .260 average, team-leading .390 OBP and .416 slugging mark with five homers in 43 games. He immediately made an impact, launching his first homer since April 22, with that . Prior to landing on the DL, Napoli hit just .186 with a .368 OBP and .237 slugging mark in 18 contests in May, his ability to drive the ball noticeably diminished by the challenges he faced with his finger injury.
To clear a roster spot for Napoli, the Red Sox optioned outfielder/first baseman Alex Hassan back to Triple-A Pawtucket. Hassan was 1-for-7 with a single, a walk and five strikeouts in his first stretch in the big leagues.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies