Red Sox activate Mike Napoli from DL, option Alex Hassan to Triple-A
|06.08.14 at 10:08 pm ET|
A much-missed bat returned to the middle of the Red Sox lineup on Sunday night, as Mike Napoli was activated from the disabled list after missing 15 days with a sprained finger on his left hand. The 32-year-old was placed on the disabled list on May 25 (retroactive to May 24) as a result of an injury first incurred when Napoli dislocated his finger with a headfirst slide on April 15.
Napoli entered Sunday with a .260 average, team-leading .390 OBP and .416 slugging mark with five homers in 43 games. He immediately made an impact, launching his first homer since April 22, with that . Prior to landing on the DL, Napoli hit just .186 with a .368 OBP and .237 slugging mark in 18 contests in May, his ability to drive the ball noticeably diminished by the challenges he faced with his finger injury.
To clear a roster spot for Napoli, the Red Sox optioned outfielder/first baseman Alex Hassan back to Triple-A Pawtucket. Hassan was 1-for-7 with a single, a walk and five strikeouts in his first stretch in the big leagues.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101
- Cup of Coffee: Moore comes through in the clutch for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada wins it in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Elias's career night powers Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi drives in two to boost Couch, Sea Dogs
- Cup of Coffee: Kelly eyes return to Boston with 10 strikeouts