Red Sox activate Mike Napoli from DL, option Alex Hassan to Triple-A
|06.08.14 at 10:08 pm ET|
A much-missed bat returned to the middle of the Red Sox lineup on Sunday night, as Mike Napoli was activated from the disabled list after missing 15 days with a sprained finger on his left hand. The 32-year-old was placed on the disabled list on May 25 (retroactive to May 24) as a result of an injury first incurred when Napoli dislocated his finger with a headfirst slide on April 15.
Napoli entered Sunday with a .260 average, team-leading .390 OBP and .416 slugging mark with five homers in 43 games. He immediately made an impact, launching his first homer since April 22, with that . Prior to landing on the DL, Napoli hit just .186 with a .368 OBP and .237 slugging mark in 18 contests in May, his ability to drive the ball noticeably diminished by the challenges he faced with his finger injury.
To clear a roster spot for Napoli, the Red Sox optioned outfielder/first baseman Alex Hassan back to Triple-A Pawtucket. Hassan was 1-for-7 with a single, a walk and five strikeouts in his first stretch in the big leagues.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Weekly Notes: Blake Swihart's hot start; Rusney Castillo on the mend
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas struggles with command, Barnes bounces back
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart leads PawSox hit parade, Rodriguez earns first win
- Cup of Coffee: Ball stymies Mudcats, Brentz leads Pawtucket past Rochester
- Swihart learning to catch the knuckler in Pawtucket
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 7: Low Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz walks off for PawSox home opener
- Cup of Coffee: Jackie Bradley Jr. continues hot start, Pawtucket falls in doubleheader
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 6: Mid-Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Margot, Longhi, and Cecchini provide the power