Stephen Drew sidelined by oblique soreness
|06.09.14 at 5:42 pm ET|
BALTIMORE — Red Sox shortstop Stephen Drew would have been in Monday’s lineup in Baltimore based on his career success against Orioles starter Bud Norris, but health appears to have sidelined the recently signed Drew.
“He’s feeling some soreness and tightness in the right oblique. He felt it in the last at-bat [Monday] when he grounded to shortstop. Believe me, we’d love to have him in there because of the success he’s had against Norris,” said Sox manager John Farrell. “Precautionary, we’ve got to hold him out right now.”
It’s the sort of soreness that is likely a reflection of the fact that Drew signed with the Sox as a free agent just last month. Without a normal spring training in which to build up his physical foundation, he’s dealing with some of the aches and pains that other players might have been dealing with in March.
“You don’t have the time to build a physical foundation as you would in spring training. We have to be mindful of some of these things that might come up in spring training where you just give them a couple of days to get over it,” said Farrell. “That’s not the case here.”
That being the case, it raises the question why Drew was summoned to the majors as soon as he could be, at the conclusion of a 10-day minor league optional assignment, rather than spending a bit more time in the minors to re-establish his timing and build that physical foundation.
“I think there are probably a number of things that go into negotiations. I’m certainly not privy to those,” said Farrell. “But we felt like we needed depth to the left side of the infield, particularly with [Will Middlebrooks'] injury at the time. And the move was made accordingly.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Staff Top 40 Rankings, 2014: Ian Cundall
- Staff Top 40 Rankings, 2014: Matt Huegel
- Sox have seventh pick in draft
- Staff Top 40 Rankings, 2014: Chris Hatfield
- SoxProspects.com 2014 season-end award winners
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #64: Playing Out the Stretch
- Weekly Notes: Prospects flock to Boston
- 2014 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- 2014 Fall Instructional League rosters and schedule
- Cup of Coffee: PawSox fall late in Gildan Championship Game