Stephen Drew sidelined by oblique soreness
|06.09.14 at 5:42 pm ET|
BALTIMORE — Red Sox shortstop Stephen Drew would have been in Monday’s lineup in Baltimore based on his career success against Orioles starter Bud Norris, but health appears to have sidelined the recently signed Drew.
“He’s feeling some soreness and tightness in the right oblique. He felt it in the last at-bat [Monday] when he grounded to shortstop. Believe me, we’d love to have him in there because of the success he’s had against Norris,” said Sox manager John Farrell. “Precautionary, we’ve got to hold him out right now.”
It’s the sort of soreness that is likely a reflection of the fact that Drew signed with the Sox as a free agent just last month. Without a normal spring training in which to build up his physical foundation, he’s dealing with some of the aches and pains that other players might have been dealing with in March.
“You don’t have the time to build a physical foundation as you would in spring training. We have to be mindful of some of these things that might come up in spring training where you just give them a couple of days to get over it,” said Farrell. “That’s not the case here.”
That being the case, it raises the question why Drew was summoned to the majors as soon as he could be, at the conclusion of a 10-day minor league optional assignment, rather than spending a bit more time in the minors to re-establish his timing and build that physical foundation.
“I think there are probably a number of things that go into negotiations. I’m certainly not privy to those,” said Farrell. “But we felt like we needed depth to the left side of the infield, particularly with [Will Middlebrooks‘] injury at the time. And the move was made accordingly.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Episode 113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?
- Fort Report: Owens struggles, Castillo seeks redemption
- Support SoxProspects in 2017