Stephen Drew sidelined by oblique soreness
|06.09.14 at 5:42 pm ET|
BALTIMORE — Red Sox shortstop Stephen Drew would have been in Monday’s lineup in Baltimore based on his career success against Orioles starter Bud Norris, but health appears to have sidelined the recently signed Drew.
“He’s feeling some soreness and tightness in the right oblique. He felt it in the last at-bat [Monday] when he grounded to shortstop. Believe me, we’d love to have him in there because of the success he’s had against Norris,” said Sox manager John Farrell. “Precautionary, we’ve got to hold him out right now.”
It’s the sort of soreness that is likely a reflection of the fact that Drew signed with the Sox as a free agent just last month. Without a normal spring training in which to build up his physical foundation, he’s dealing with some of the aches and pains that other players might have been dealing with in March.
“You don’t have the time to build a physical foundation as you would in spring training. We have to be mindful of some of these things that might come up in spring training where you just give them a couple of days to get over it,” said Farrell. “That’s not the case here.”
That being the case, it raises the question why Drew was summoned to the majors as soon as he could be, at the conclusion of a 10-day minor league optional assignment, rather than spending a bit more time in the minors to re-establish his timing and build that physical foundation.
“I think there are probably a number of things that go into negotiations. I’m certainly not privy to those,” said Farrell. “But we felt like we needed depth to the left side of the infield, particularly with [Will Middlebrooks‘] injury at the time. And the move was made accordingly.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects five hits, Chatham belts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon comes up clutch, Dalbec stays hot for Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings
- Weekly Notes: Groome debuts, Kopech and Dalbec stay hot
- Cup of Coffee: Salem wins 10th straight, Hill, Tubbs carry Lowell