Red Sox first-rounder Michael Kopech agrees to sign
|06.10.14 at 3:27 pm ET|
Michael Kopech, the hard-throwing right-hander whom the Red Sox selected with one of their two first-round picks (No. 33 overall), said by phone on Tuesday that he has reached an agreement to sign with the Red Sox and that he has informed the University of Arizona (which he’d accepted a scholarship to attend) of his decision. The agreement is not yet final, pending a physical, but Kopech is expected in Boston in the coming days to finalize his agreement. Kopech said that his agreement with the Sox was for “a little under” the slot recommendation of $1.678 million, meaning that the Red Sox will have some additional flexibility to spend on other draftees.
Kopech was 3-0 with a 0.44 ERA and two strikeouts an inning as a senior at Mt. Pleasant High in Texas. He regularly sat at 93-95 mph, topping out at 98-99.
“He’s got a hell of an arm. Special arm. I don’t know that I’ve ever scouted someone who’s had this kind of arm strength,” said one evaluator. “This guy can long toss from foul pole to foul pole before the game — without a problem, without a crow hop. It’s special. It’s a special, elite type of arm.”
News that Kopech intended to sign was first reported by MLBDailyDish.com.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks, Dubon debut at Double-A, Lowell wins again
- Sources: Mauricio Dubon promoted to Portland
- Scouting Scratch: Michael Kopech
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada stays hot in Portland; Lowell improves to 6-0
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada makes Double-A debut; Owens dominates for PawSox