Red Sox first-rounder Michael Kopech agrees to sign
|06.10.14 at 3:27 pm ET|
Michael Kopech, the hard-throwing right-hander whom the Red Sox selected with one of their two first-round picks (No. 33 overall), said by phone on Tuesday that he has reached an agreement to sign with the Red Sox and that he has informed the University of Arizona (which he’d accepted a scholarship to attend) of his decision. The agreement is not yet final, pending a physical, but Kopech is expected in Boston in the coming days to finalize his agreement. Kopech said that his agreement with the Sox was for “a little under” the slot recommendation of $1.678 million, meaning that the Red Sox will have some additional flexibility to spend on other draftees.
Kopech was 3-0 with a 0.44 ERA and two strikeouts an inning as a senior at Mt. Pleasant High in Texas. He regularly sat at 93-95 mph, topping out at 98-99.
“He’s got a hell of an arm. Special arm. I don’t know that I’ve ever scouted someone who’s had this kind of arm strength,” said one evaluator. “This guy can long toss from foul pole to foul pole before the game — without a problem, without a crow hop. It’s special. It’s a special, elite type of arm.”
News that Kopech intended to sign was first reported by MLBDailyDish.com.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Owens, others struggle on mound
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza dominates in mid-week matinee
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez fires seven strong innings in rehab start
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101
- Cup of Coffee: Moore comes through in the clutch for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada wins it in extras