Red Sox first-rounder Michael Kopech agrees to sign
|06.10.14 at 3:27 pm ET|
Michael Kopech, the hard-throwing right-hander whom the Red Sox selected with one of their two first-round picks (No. 33 overall), said by phone on Tuesday that he has reached an agreement to sign with the Red Sox and that he has informed the University of Arizona (which he’d accepted a scholarship to attend) of his decision. The agreement is not yet final, pending a physical, but Kopech is expected in Boston in the coming days to finalize his agreement. Kopech said that his agreement with the Sox was for “a little under” the slot recommendation of $1.678 million, meaning that the Red Sox will have some additional flexibility to spend on other draftees.
Kopech was 3-0 with a 0.44 ERA and two strikeouts an inning as a senior at Mt. Pleasant High in Texas. He regularly sat at 93-95 mph, topping out at 98-99.
“He’s got a hell of an arm. Special arm. I don’t know that I’ve ever scouted someone who’s had this kind of arm strength,” said one evaluator. “This guy can long toss from foul pole to foul pole before the game — without a problem, without a crow hop. It’s special. It’s a special, elite type of arm.”
News that Kopech intended to sign was first reported by MLBDailyDish.com.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- With new delivery honed, Haley looks to build on breakout season
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers