Red Sox first-rounder Michael Kopech agrees to sign
|06.10.14 at 3:27 pm ET|
Michael Kopech, the hard-throwing right-hander whom the Red Sox selected with one of their two first-round picks (No. 33 overall), said by phone on Tuesday that he has reached an agreement to sign with the Red Sox and that he has informed the University of Arizona (which he’d accepted a scholarship to attend) of his decision. The agreement is not yet final, pending a physical, but Kopech is expected in Boston in the coming days to finalize his agreement. Kopech said that his agreement with the Sox was for “a little under” the slot recommendation of $1.678 million, meaning that the Red Sox will have some additional flexibility to spend on other draftees.
Kopech was 3-0 with a 0.44 ERA and two strikeouts an inning as a senior at Mt. Pleasant High in Texas. He regularly sat at 93-95 mph, topping out at 98-99.
“He’s got a hell of an arm. Special arm. I don’t know that I’ve ever scouted someone who’s had this kind of arm strength,” said one evaluator. “This guy can long toss from foul pole to foul pole before the game — without a problem, without a crow hop. It’s special. It’s a special, elite type of arm.”
News that Kopech intended to sign was first reported by MLBDailyDish.com.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven