Tuesday’s Red Sox-Orioles matchups: Brandon Workman vs. Chris Tillman
|06.10.14 at 9:15 am ET|
Workman (0-0, 3.74 ERA) was solid in his third start of the season on June 4, allowing four hits and three runs over five innings of work against the Indians. The Texas native likely could have pitched deeper into the game, but he was pulled in the sixth just 85 pitches in after walking Asdrubal Cabrera and giving up a single to Michael Brantley.
“I felt pretty good. Obviously the lead-off walk in the sixth wasn’t the way I wanted to start that inning, but overall, I felt pretty good,” Workman said after the game.
While opponents are hitting .228 against Workman over his three starts in 2014, he has yet to pitch more than 5 1/3 innings in any start this season.
In his last career appearance against the Orioles on April 3, Workman allowed one hit and one walk over two-thirds of an inning in relief. In four career appearances against Baltimore, all out of the bullpen, Workman has allowed three hits while surrendering zero earned runs.
Tillman (5-2, 5.20 ERA) had a rough outing in his start on June 5 against the Rangers, surrendering six hits and five earned runs in just one inning. It was the second time this season that Tillman failed to record an out in the second inning, as the righty was rocked on May 21 against Pittsburgh, giving up seven hits and eight earned runs in one inning of work.
“It’s just one of those ones you can’t take anything from,” Tillman said after the game. “You learn what you need to do better next time. But it’s been a constant battle. It’s evident. I know what needs to be done. Just got to do it.”
Tillman earned his second win of the season in his last start against Boston on April 18, allowing seven hits and three earned runs in five innings of work. In 13 career starts against Boston, Tillman is 5-2 with a 2.86 ERA.
Red Sox vs. Tillman (RHP)
Dustin Pedroia (36 plate appearances): .313/.361/.375, 2 doubles, 5 RBIs
Daniel Nava (27): .217/.333/.348, 3 doubles, 8 strikeouts
David Ortiz (23): .105/.261/.105, 2 singles, 5 strikeouts
A.J. Pierzynski (15): .200/.200/.267, 1 double, 2 RBIs
Stephen Drew (11): .333/.455/.889, 1 home run, 3 RBIs
Xander Bogaerts (8): .000/.250/.000, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Jackie Bradley Jr. (8): .429/.500/.571, 1 double, 3 strikeouts
Grady Sizemore (8): .250/.250/.625, 1 home run, 1 RBI
Jonny Gomes has one strikeout in three plate appearances vs. Tillman.
Brock Holt (2): .500/.500/.500, 1 single, 1 RBI
David Ross has one strikeout in two plate appearances vs. Tillman.
Orioles vs. Workman (RHP)
J.J. Hardy has one walk in two plate appearances vs. Workman.
Manny Machado (2): 1.000/1.000/2.000, 1 single, 1 walk
Nelson Cruz has one strikeout in one plate appearance vs. Workman.
Ryan Flaherty has one strikeout in one plate appearance vs. Workman.
Adam Jones has one strikeout in one plate appearance vs. Workman.
Delmon Young has one strikeout in one plate appearance vs. Workman.
Nick Markakis (1): .000/.000/.000
Jonathan Schoop (1): .000/.000/.000
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster