Wednesday’s Red Sox-Orioles matchups: Rubby De La Rosa vs. Wei-Yin Chen
|06.11.14 at 8:35 am ET|
The Red Sox conclude their three-game series against the Orioles in Baltimore on Wednesday when they send Rubby De La Rosa to the mound against Wei-Yin Chen.
De La Rosa’s second start in a Red Sox uniform wasn’t nearly as glamorous as the first. After dominating a weak Rays lineup in seven shutout innings May 31, De La Rosa (1-1, 2.84 ERA) gave up four runs, nine hits and two walks over 5 2/3 innings in a 6-2 loss to the Tigers on Friday. While the right-hander said he felt similarly to the way he did in his first start, he struggled with location and was done in by back-to-back home runs by Ian Kinsler and Torii Hunter.
“I feel almost 100 percent like last time,” De La Rosa said after the game. “I just missed more pitches.’
Wednesday’s appearance will be the second of De La Rosa’s career against Baltimore. His first came in two-thirds innings of relief in a 7-6 loss at Camden Yards on Sept. 29, 2013. De La Rosa gave up a run and a hit while throwing just 15 pitches in the inning, giving him a wretched 13.50 ERA against the Orioles for his career. One of the three batters he faced was Jonathan Schoop, who is the only current Baltimore hitter he has faced in his career. De La Rosa gave up a single to Schoop in the encounter.
Chen (6-2, 4.13 ERA) has gotten June off to strong start, going 1-0 with a 2.31 ERA in two starts since the turn of the month. The left-hander took a no-decision in his last start after the Orioles fell to the A’s 4-3 in 11 innings on Friday. Chen gave up two runs on a pair of solo homers in 6 1/3 innings. He allowed five hits and no walks with four strikeouts.
Chen has been especially strong with his control this season. The 28-year-old has walked just 11 batters in 12 starts this season. He’s given up no more than three walks in a start and issued one free pass or fewer in his last seven starts.
Chen already has made two starts against the Sox this season and has been relatively mediocre in each game. He gave up four runs on 12 hits over 5 2/3 innings in a 4-3 loss at Camden Yards April 3, and he beat the Sox at Fenway Park April 21 with a three-run, four-hit performance over five innings of work. Chen is 3-3 with a 5.25 ERA in nine career starts against the Red Sox.
Red Sox vs. Chen (LHP)
Dustin Pedroia (27 plate appearances): .500 AVG/.556 OBP/.792 SLG, 1 triple, 5 doubles, 5 RBIs, 3 walks, 1 strikeout
Jonny Gomes (21): .211/.286/.368, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 7 strikeouts
David Ortiz (18): .400/.444/.600, 1 HR, 5 RBIs, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Mike Napoli (16): .200/.250/.667, 2 HR, 1 double, 2 RBIs, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
David Ross (15): .267/.267/.333, 1 double, 3 RBIs, 4 strikeouts
Daniel Nava (14): .538/.571/.769, 1 HR, 3 RBIs, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
A.J. Pierzynski (12): .250/.250/.417, 2 doubles, 2 RBIs, 4 strikeouts
Stephen Drew (8): .286/.375/.429, 1 double, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Xander Bogaerts (5): .500/.600/.500, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Jackie Bradley (5): .600/.600/.800, 1 double, 2 RBIs, 1 strikeout
Brock Holt (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 RBI
Orioles vs. De La Rosa (RHP)
Jonathan Schoop singled in his lone at-bat vs. De La Rosa.
No other Orioles have faced De La Rosa.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller