Xander Bogaerts on hitless stretch: ‘I’m going to be fine — sit back, relax and enjoy’
|06.12.14 at 12:29 am ET|
BALTIMORE — Xander Bogaerts is amidst his first sustained stretch of offensive futility in the big leagues. For his first time as a big leaguer, he’s gone four straight games without a hit, going 0-for-16 with five strikeouts and not coming particularly close to any hits. But even as his line has dropped to .278 with a .367 OBP and .422 slugging mark for the year, and even as he’s seen his breathtaking hot stretch come to a screeching halt, the 21-year-old remains confident that he soon will see a reversal of fortune.
“I’m human. We all make mistakes. We all struggle. We all go through tough stretches,” said Bogaerts. “I’m going to be fine. Sit back, relax and enjoy. I’ll be fine.”
Bogaerts suggested that he hasn’t had a difficult time separating his results from one day to the next.
“Today is a new day with a different pitcher. It’s not like the same guy from yesterday is throwing today. As a hitter, also, you try to go up there. It’s a new day, new at-bats and you try to go up there and do the best you can,” said Bogaerts. “You go out there every day, you think you’re going to get a lot of hits, but some nights it doesn’t go your way. But, I’m human and I’ll get through it.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs