Xander Bogaerts on hitless stretch: ‘I’m going to be fine — sit back, relax and enjoy’
|06.12.14 at 12:29 am ET|
BALTIMORE — Xander Bogaerts is amidst his first sustained stretch of offensive futility in the big leagues. For his first time as a big leaguer, he’s gone four straight games without a hit, going 0-for-16 with five strikeouts and not coming particularly close to any hits. But even as his line has dropped to .278 with a .367 OBP and .422 slugging mark for the year, and even as he’s seen his breathtaking hot stretch come to a screeching halt, the 21-year-old remains confident that he soon will see a reversal of fortune.
“I’m human. We all make mistakes. We all struggle. We all go through tough stretches,” said Bogaerts. “I’m going to be fine. Sit back, relax and enjoy. I’ll be fine.”
Bogaerts suggested that he hasn’t had a difficult time separating his results from one day to the next.
“Today is a new day with a different pitcher. It’s not like the same guy from yesterday is throwing today. As a hitter, also, you try to go up there. It’s a new day, new at-bats and you try to go up there and do the best you can,” said Bogaerts. “You go out there every day, you think you’re going to get a lot of hits, but some nights it doesn’t go your way. But, I’m human and I’ll get through it.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart leads PawSox hit parade, Rodriguez earns first win
- Cup of Coffee: Ball stymies Mudcats, Brentz leads Pawtucket past Rochester
- Swihart learning to catch the knuckler in Pawtucket
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 7: Low Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz walks off for PawSox home opener
- Cup of Coffee: Jackie Bradley Jr. continues hot start, Pawtucket falls in doubleheader
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 6: Mid-Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Margot, Longhi, and Cecchini provide the power
- Podcast Ep. 73: Scout Talk and Season's Start
- Cup of Coffee: Abbreviated 2015 debuts for Kopech, Barnes