Xander Bogaerts on hitless stretch: ‘I’m going to be fine — sit back, relax and enjoy’
|06.12.14 at 12:29 am ET|
BALTIMORE — Xander Bogaerts is amidst his first sustained stretch of offensive futility in the big leagues. For his first time as a big leaguer, he’s gone four straight games without a hit, going 0-for-16 with five strikeouts and not coming particularly close to any hits. But even as his line has dropped to .278 with a .367 OBP and .422 slugging mark for the year, and even as he’s seen his breathtaking hot stretch come to a screeching halt, the 21-year-old remains confident that he soon will see a reversal of fortune.
“I’m human. We all make mistakes. We all struggle. We all go through tough stretches,” said Bogaerts. “I’m going to be fine. Sit back, relax and enjoy. I’ll be fine.”
Bogaerts suggested that he hasn’t had a difficult time separating his results from one day to the next.
“Today is a new day with a different pitcher. It’s not like the same guy from yesterday is throwing today. As a hitter, also, you try to go up there. It’s a new day, new at-bats and you try to go up there and do the best you can,” said Bogaerts. “You go out there every day, you think you’re going to get a lot of hits, but some nights it doesn’t go your way. But, I’m human and I’ll get through it.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Chatham comes up clutch, Downs lifts Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts