Xander Bogaerts on hitless stretch: ‘I’m going to be fine — sit back, relax and enjoy’
|06.12.14 at 12:29 am ET|
BALTIMORE — Xander Bogaerts is amidst his first sustained stretch of offensive futility in the big leagues. For his first time as a big leaguer, he’s gone four straight games without a hit, going 0-for-16 with five strikeouts and not coming particularly close to any hits. But even as his line has dropped to .278 with a .367 OBP and .422 slugging mark for the year, and even as he’s seen his breathtaking hot stretch come to a screeching halt, the 21-year-old remains confident that he soon will see a reversal of fortune.
“I’m human. We all make mistakes. We all struggle. We all go through tough stretches,” said Bogaerts. “I’m going to be fine. Sit back, relax and enjoy. I’ll be fine.”
Bogaerts suggested that he hasn’t had a difficult time separating his results from one day to the next.
“Today is a new day with a different pitcher. It’s not like the same guy from yesterday is throwing today. As a hitter, also, you try to go up there. It’s a new day, new at-bats and you try to go up there and do the best you can,” said Bogaerts. “You go out there every day, you think you’re going to get a lot of hits, but some nights it doesn’t go your way. But, I’m human and I’ll get through it.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Concerned Should Red Sox Be over Price's Roller-Coaster 2016?
- Latest Updates on Chris Young's Hamstring Injury
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Reports: Red Sox receive 1-year IFA ban, 5 players made free agents
- Scouting Scratch: Aaron Wilkerson
- Cup of Coffee: Monge carries Salem, Butler lifts Pawtucket
- Jerez and Romanski selected to Eastern League All-Star Game
- Cup of Coffee: Castillo powers PawSox
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game