Friday’s Red Sox-Indians matchups: John Lackey vs. Justin Masterson
|06.13.14 at 8:20 am ET|
Lackey (7-4, 3.18 ERA) was great once again in his last start against the Tigers on Sunday, surrendering just three runs (two earned) over eight innings of work. However, the righty was in line for a loss, as his team trailed 3-2 in the top of the ninth inning.
Lackey’s great performance would be saved by David Ortiz, who crushed an offering from Joba Chamberlain into the right-field bleachers for a three-run home run, giving Boston a 5-3 lead that the team would not relinquish.
“We have that sense pretty much every time he hits,” Lackey said after the game. “He’s special. It’s funny, you almost expect it.”
Lackey received the loss in his last start against the Indians on June 2, despite pitching a complete game. He allowed eight hits and three earned runs over eight innings.
In 18 career starts against Cleveland, Lackey is 7-8 with a 3.93 ERA.
Masterson (4-4, 4.61 ERA) turned in another solid performance in his last appearance against the Rangers on Sunday, allowing four hits and two earned runs over 5 2/3 innings, earning the win in a 3-2 Indians victory. It was Masterson’s first road win since Aug. 21, 2013.
“Building off what we did last time, we made some good adjustments in between from my last start and wanted to continue those,” Masterson said after the game. “It’s helped the effort level be good, to be more under control, to throw more strikes.”
Masterson was brilliant in his last start against his former team on June 2, holding the Red Sox to just three hits and no earned runs over seven innings of work. The sinkerball pitcher at one point threw 25 straight strikes against the Boston lineup. In two June starts, Masterson holds a 1.42 ERA with 16 strikeouts.
In eight career starts against Boston, Masterson is 4-3 with a 3.66 ERA.
Tigers vs. Lackey (RHP)
Jason Giambi (50): .302/.400/.558, 3 home runs, 7 RBIs
Asdrubal Cabrera (29): .185/.241/.296, 1 home run, 8 strikeouts
David Murphy (26): .455/.520/.636, 2 doubles, 3 walks
Jason Kipnis (10): .250/.400/.375, 1 double, 2 walks
Michael Brantley (9): .250/.333/.375, 1 double, 1 RBI
Carlos Santana (9): .143/.333/.143, 1 single, 2 strikeouts
Michael Bourn (7): .333/.429/.667, 1 triple, 2 strikeouts
Lonnie Chisenhall (6): .167/.167/.167, 1 single, 2 RBI
Mike Aviles (3): .000/.000/.000
Yan Gomes has one strikeout in three plate appearances vs. Lackey.
Red Sox vs. Masterson (RHP)
A.J. Pierzynski (42): .368/.390/.474, 4 doubles, 4 RBIs
Dustin Pedroia (23): .238/.304/.238, 5 singles, 3 RBIs
David Ortiz (21): .294/.429/.471, 1 home run, 4 walks
Mike Napoli (20): .316/.350/.474, 1 home run, 4 RBIs
Stephen Drew (14): .083/.214/.083, 1 single, 3 strikeouts
Daniel Nava (9): .500/.667/.667, 1 double, 2 RBIs
Grady Sizemore (7): .000/.000/.000, 3 strikeouts
Jonny Gomes has three strikeouts in four plate appearances vs. Masterson.
Xander Bogaerts (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 single, 2 RBIs
Brock Holt has one strikeout in three plate appearances vs. Masterson.
David Ross has two strikeouts in three plate appearances vs. Masterson.
Jackie Bradley Jr. has one strikeout in two plate appearances vs. Masterson.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller