Mickey Callaway on MFB: Fight with Lou Merloni ‘fun to tell the grandkids one day’
|06.13.14 at 12:52 pm ET|
Former major league pitcher and current Indians pitching coach Mickey Callaway joined Middays with MFB on Friday to reflect on his fight with Lou Merloni in the minor leagues. To hear the interview, go to the MFB audio on demand page.
Merloni charged Callaway in a minor league game in 1999 after being hit by a pitch. It was the first and only time Merloni charged the mound in his career, and the only time Callaway was ever charged.
“I wasn’t trying to hit you, I don’t think. I was trying to throw a fastball down away,” Callaway told Merloni with a laugh.
What Callaway wasn’t expecting was Merloni to throw his helmet at him before the fight broke out.
“That kind of surprised me,” Callaway said. “I remember him coming at me and taking his helmet off and throwing it at me, and I was trying to deflect that. By the time I deflected that, we were on the ground.
‘There was a ton of people. I don’t know where my teammates were. There was people punching me at the top of the head.”
Words may have been exchanged between Merloni and Callaway while at the bottom of the pile, but Callaway said he couldn’t remember what was said.
“I can just remember being on the bottom of about 10 people it seemed like. … But it was fun. It’s a good story. It’ll be fun to tell the grandkids one day,” Callaway said.
As a pitching coach, Callaway said he tries to prepare his pitchers for situations where they may be charged.
“You kind of want them just to hold their ground and hopefully, if you’re going to throw a punch, do it with your left hand. You don’t want to be hurting your pitching hand,” he said. “Hopefully it doesn’t happen, but you’ve got to stand up for yourself and stand up for your teammates. It’s all competitive and fun, and that’s just part of the game.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016