One more rehab start for Clay Buchholz, Felix Doubront could return this weekend
|06.16.14 at 6:33 pm ET|
At a time when Brandon Workman is expected to be unavailable for his next start due to a suspension (pending a verdict from Major League Baseball about his appeal of his six-game hiatus), Red Sox manager John Farrell said that left-hander Felix Doubront — who threw five no-hit innings on Sunday in which he punched out 10 and threw 94 pitches — could be a consideration for Workman’s next turn in the rotation on Friday in Oakland.
“He came off a solid outing yesterday where his stuff was improved. It’s yet to be determined where his next start will be,” said Farrell, who described Doubront as a “candidate” to start for Workman.
Clay Buchholz is not a candidate. He is now slated to make his next start in Pawtucket on Thursday, with the team trying to build his pitch count (he threw 62 pitches, 42 strikes, on Saturday) before considering his return to the big leagues. Though Buchholz allowed three runs and a pair of homers in 4 2/3 innings for the PawSox on Saturday, Farrell said that the team saw improved stuff, and now simply needs him to be ready to make a big league start without overtaxing his bullpen.
“Clay went out and was able to accomplish, for the most part, some of the delivery adjustments he’s been working on,” said Farrell. “Overall strikes were improved. We recognize what took place in the line score inside that, but a higher percentage of strikes, better power overall, more defined shape to the individual types of pitches. We need to get him up to 90 pitches or so this next outing.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome