One more rehab start for Clay Buchholz, Felix Doubront could return this weekend
|06.16.14 at 6:33 pm ET|
At a time when Brandon Workman is expected to be unavailable for his next start due to a suspension (pending a verdict from Major League Baseball about his appeal of his six-game hiatus), Red Sox manager John Farrell said that left-hander Felix Doubront — who threw five no-hit innings on Sunday in which he punched out 10 and threw 94 pitches — could be a consideration for Workman’s next turn in the rotation on Friday in Oakland.
“He came off a solid outing yesterday where his stuff was improved. It’s yet to be determined where his next start will be,” said Farrell, who described Doubront as a “candidate” to start for Workman.
Clay Buchholz is not a candidate. He is now slated to make his next start in Pawtucket on Thursday, with the team trying to build his pitch count (he threw 62 pitches, 42 strikes, on Saturday) before considering his return to the big leagues. Though Buchholz allowed three runs and a pair of homers in 4 2/3 innings for the PawSox on Saturday, Farrell said that the team saw improved stuff, and now simply needs him to be ready to make a big league start without overtaxing his bullpen.
“Clay went out and was able to accomplish, for the most part, some of the delivery adjustments he’s been working on,” said Farrell. “Overall strikes were improved. We recognize what took place in the line score inside that, but a higher percentage of strikes, better power overall, more defined shape to the individual types of pitches. We need to get him up to 90 pitches or so this next outing.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: Groome impresses in spring start
- Notes from the Field: Jason Groome debuts on Day Four
- Chatham using size to his advantage at shortstop
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp