One more rehab start for Clay Buchholz, Felix Doubront could return this weekend
|06.16.14 at 6:33 pm ET|
At a time when Brandon Workman is expected to be unavailable for his next start due to a suspension (pending a verdict from Major League Baseball about his appeal of his six-game hiatus), Red Sox manager John Farrell said that left-hander Felix Doubront — who threw five no-hit innings on Sunday in which he punched out 10 and threw 94 pitches — could be a consideration for Workman’s next turn in the rotation on Friday in Oakland.
“He came off a solid outing yesterday where his stuff was improved. It’s yet to be determined where his next start will be,” said Farrell, who described Doubront as a “candidate” to start for Workman.
Clay Buchholz is not a candidate. He is now slated to make his next start in Pawtucket on Thursday, with the team trying to build his pitch count (he threw 62 pitches, 42 strikes, on Saturday) before considering his return to the big leagues. Though Buchholz allowed three runs and a pair of homers in 4 2/3 innings for the PawSox on Saturday, Farrell said that the team saw improved stuff, and now simply needs him to be ready to make a big league start without overtaxing his bullpen.
“Clay went out and was able to accomplish, for the most part, some of the delivery adjustments he’s been working on,” said Farrell. “Overall strikes were improved. We recognize what took place in the line score inside that, but a higher percentage of strikes, better power overall, more defined shape to the individual types of pitches. We need to get him up to 90 pitches or so this next outing.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles