Red Sox minor leaguer Mickey Pena suspended for 100 games; future with Sox unclear
|06.16.14 at 8:01 pm ET|
Mickey Pena, a left-hander pitching for the Red Sox‘ Double-A affiliate in Portland, has been suspended for 100 games by Major League Baseball for a third positive test for a drug of abuse. The suspension will effectively end his 2014 season, and the Red Sox — according to a source familiar with the team’s thinking — have yet to make a decision one way or the other about whether this suspension (his second in as many years; he missed 50 games last year with High-A Salem after testing positive for a drug of abuse) will mark the end of his tenure in the organization.
When the Red Sox selected Pena in the sixth-round of the 2011 draft — and signed him for a bonus that fell well below the slot recommendation — they did so knowing that the left-hander had considerable talent (a four-pitch mix and willingness to throw strikes) but a lengthy history of discipline problems that included being sent home from the Cape League for smoking pot. Most who know him — players and industry officials — describe him as a likeable, engaging personality who simply doesn’t seem to be able to avoid bad decisions.
Pena pitched well in Lowell in 2011 (2.35 ERA, 22 strikeouts, three walks in 15 1/3 innings) and again in Single-A Greenville in 2012 (8-7, 2.95 ERA, 8.1 strikeouts and 1.9 walks per nine), and even despite his 50-game suspension in High-A Salem last year, he pitched well enough (6-7, 4.00 ERA, 6.0 strikeouts and 3.0 walks per nine) to earn a year-ending promotion to Double-A Portland.
This year, Pena had struggled to a 6.41 ERA in 13 starts. But whereas his performance had made it unlikely that he would be selected in the Rule 5 draft (for which he’ll be eligible after this year if not added to the 40-man roster), his suspension makes it virtually impossible to imagine a team selecting him. That is about the only thing that is now clear about Pena’s baseball-playing future beyond this season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks tosses complete-game shutout
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Victor Garcia
- Cup of Coffee: Ockimey homers twice, Salem sweeps twin bill
- The Write-Up: Teddy Stankiewicz
- System Restart '17: Catcher
- Cup of Coffee: Mother nature delays Chavis; Moncada stomps PawSox
- Minor Notes: Chavis turns heads in three-homer game
- System Restart '17: Outfield
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis blasts three home runs for Salem
- Scouting Scratch: First Look at the Portland Bullpen