Red Sox designate Grady Sizemore for assignment, recall Garin Cecchini from Pawtucket
|06.17.14 at 3:31 pm ET|
The comeback tour for Grady Sizemore is over.
An industry source told Alex Speier of WEEI.com that the Red Sox designated the outfielder for assignment to clear a roster spot for third baseman Garin Cecchini. After a strong spring training, Sizemore struggled to find consistency at the plate, hitting .216/.288/.324 with two home runs, 15 RBIs, 10 doubles, two triples and five stolen bases in 185 at-bats over 52 games.
Cecchini makes his second trip to the majors this season. He made his major league debut on June 1, going 1-for-2 with a double and an RBI. So far this season in Pawtucket, Cecchini has hit .263/.344/.329 with two homers, 24 RBIs, eight doubles and eight stolen bases.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero powers PawSox past IronPigs
- April Players of the Month: Andrew Benintendi and Teddy Stankiewicz
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada hits grand slam to lead Salem sweep
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas and Maxwell lead the PawSox
- Podcast Ep. 95: One month in, start it up again
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez, Smith begin rehab assignments
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs