Red Sox designate Grady Sizemore for assignment, recall Garin Cecchini from Pawtucket
|06.17.14 at 3:31 pm ET|
The comeback tour for Grady Sizemore is over.
An industry source told Alex Speier of WEEI.com that the Red Sox designated the outfielder for assignment to clear a roster spot for third baseman Garin Cecchini. After a strong spring training, Sizemore struggled to find consistency at the plate, hitting .216/.288/.324 with two home runs, 15 RBIs, 10 doubles, two triples and five stolen bases in 185 at-bats over 52 games.
Cecchini makes his second trip to the majors this season. He made his major league debut on June 1, going 1-for-2 with a double and an RBI. So far this season in Pawtucket, Cecchini has hit .263/.344/.329 with two homers, 24 RBIs, eight doubles and eight stolen bases.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Ortiz Ties Jimmie Foxx for 18th on All-Time Home Runs List
- Pedroia Has Become Forgotten Star in Red Sox's Booming Offense
- Andrew Benintendi Injury: Updates on Red Sox OF's Knee, Return
- Buchholz Can Still Play Big Part in Red Sox's Title Hopes
- Porcello's Resurgence Worth Every Penny of Extension
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- Cup of Coffee: DSL Red Sox2 break out brooms; Dalbec keeps raking
- Return to past hitting mechanics fueling Bobby Dalbec's success
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and LaMarre lead the way for PawSox
- Weekly Notes: Moncada, Devers, Tavarez nab postseason awards
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Downs homers
- Cup of Coffee: Groome impresses while Johnson falters
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects five hits, Chatham belts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon comes up clutch, Dalbec stays hot for Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10