Red Sox designate Grady Sizemore for assignment, recall Garin Cecchini from Pawtucket
|06.17.14 at 3:31 pm ET|
The comeback tour for Grady Sizemore is over.
An industry source told Alex Speier of WEEI.com that the Red Sox designated the outfielder for assignment to clear a roster spot for third baseman Garin Cecchini. After a strong spring training, Sizemore struggled to find consistency at the plate, hitting .216/.288/.324 with two home runs, 15 RBIs, 10 doubles, two triples and five stolen bases in 185 at-bats over 52 games.
Cecchini makes his second trip to the majors this season. He made his major league debut on June 1, going 1-for-2 with a double and an RBI. So far this season in Pawtucket, Cecchini has hit .263/.344/.329 with two homers, 24 RBIs, eight doubles and eight stolen bases.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston