Former Red Sox reliever Daniel Bard released by Rangers
|06.19.14 at 12:47 pm ET|
The 28-year-old right-hander retired only two of the 18 batters he faced in four games with the Hickory Crawdads of the Low-A South Atlantic League. He continued to be plagued with wildness, walking nine and hitting seven. He had an astronomical ERA of 175.50 with a 13.43 WHIP.
Bard was a solid set-up man for the Red Sox from 2009-11, posting a 2.88 ERA and 1.06 WHIP with 213 strikeouts in 197 innings. He struggled during the team’s infamous collapse in September 2011, and his command got worse after he was moved into the starting rotation at the start of the 2012 season. He could not regain his form even after being returned to the bullpen.
Bard appeared in two games for the Red Sox in 2013 before being sent back to the minors and eventually designated for assignment. He then had a brief stint with the Cubs organization late last year.
Bard, who had January surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome, which affected a nerve in his shoulder, signed with the Rangers as a minor league free agent in February.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine