Red Sox lineup: David Ortiz sits, A.J. Pierzynski at DH vs. Athletics LHP Scott Kazmir
|06.19.14 at 7:55 pm ET|
The Red Sox rarely find occasion to give David Ortiz a day off, but Athletics left-hander Scott Kazmir offered the team the impetus to let the 38-year-old sit out of the starting lineup for the sixth time this year. Ortiz has plenty of experience against the former Tampa Bay left-hander (56 plate appearances), little of it good, having hit .208 with a .321 OBP and .354 slugging mark against Kazmir.
With Ortiz sitting, however, the Red Sox didn’t have a natural right-handed bench option to serve as DH, given that Jonny Gomes was already slated to play left field in place of switch-hitter Daniel Nava (who hits better against righties than lefties) against a southpaw. And so, A.J. Pierzynski will serve as DH as Ortiz gets the night off. Shortstop Stephen Drew will make his first start of the year against a left-hander. David Ross will be behind the plate to catch Jake Peavy.
RED SOX LINEUP
Brock Holt, RF
Xander Bogaerts, 3B
Dustin Pedroia, 2B
Mike Napoli, 1B
A.J. Pierzynski, DH
Jonny Gomes, LF
Stephen Drew, SS
David Ross, C
Jackie Bradley Jr., CF
Jake Peavy, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo