Red Sox lineup: David Ortiz sits, A.J. Pierzynski at DH vs. Athletics LHP Scott Kazmir
|06.19.14 at 7:55 pm ET|
The Red Sox rarely find occasion to give David Ortiz a day off, but Athletics left-hander Scott Kazmir offered the team the impetus to let the 38-year-old sit out of the starting lineup for the sixth time this year. Ortiz has plenty of experience against the former Tampa Bay left-hander (56 plate appearances), little of it good, having hit .208 with a .321 OBP and .354 slugging mark against Kazmir.
With Ortiz sitting, however, the Red Sox didn’t have a natural right-handed bench option to serve as DH, given that Jonny Gomes was already slated to play left field in place of switch-hitter Daniel Nava (who hits better against righties than lefties) against a southpaw. And so, A.J. Pierzynski will serve as DH as Ortiz gets the night off. Shortstop Stephen Drew will make his first start of the year against a left-hander. David Ross will be behind the plate to catch Jake Peavy.
RED SOX LINEUP
Brock Holt, RF
Xander Bogaerts, 3B
Dustin Pedroia, 2B
Mike Napoli, 1B
A.J. Pierzynski, DH
Jonny Gomes, LF
Stephen Drew, SS
David Ross, C
Jackie Bradley Jr., CF
Jake Peavy, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks, Dubon debut at Double-A, Lowell wins again
- Sources: Mauricio Dubon promoted to Portland
- Scouting Scratch: Michael Kopech
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada stays hot in Portland; Lowell improves to 6-0
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada makes Double-A debut; Owens dominates for PawSox
- Cup of Coffee: Holt doubles twice in first rehab appearance
- Weekly Notes: Moncada promoted, Kopech debuts, and Salem claims Southern Division first-half title
- Cup of Coffee: Affiliates sweep, Moncada homers before promotion
- Moncada, Beeks, Taylor promoted to Portland