Red Sox lineup: David Ortiz sits, A.J. Pierzynski at DH vs. Athletics LHP Scott Kazmir
|06.19.14 at 7:55 pm ET|
The Red Sox rarely find occasion to give David Ortiz a day off, but Athletics left-hander Scott Kazmir offered the team the impetus to let the 38-year-old sit out of the starting lineup for the sixth time this year. Ortiz has plenty of experience against the former Tampa Bay left-hander (56 plate appearances), little of it good, having hit .208 with a .321 OBP and .354 slugging mark against Kazmir.
With Ortiz sitting, however, the Red Sox didn’t have a natural right-handed bench option to serve as DH, given that Jonny Gomes was already slated to play left field in place of switch-hitter Daniel Nava (who hits better against righties than lefties) against a southpaw. And so, A.J. Pierzynski will serve as DH as Ortiz gets the night off. Shortstop Stephen Drew will make his first start of the year against a left-hander. David Ross will be behind the plate to catch Jake Peavy.
RED SOX LINEUP
Brock Holt, RF
Xander Bogaerts, 3B
Dustin Pedroia, 2B
Mike Napoli, 1B
A.J. Pierzynski, DH
Jonny Gomes, LF
Stephen Drew, SS
David Ross, C
Jackie Bradley Jr., CF
Jake Peavy, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- With new delivery honed, Haley looks to build on breakout season
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers