Felix Doubront to start Friday, Clay Buchholz ready to return to big leagues
|06.20.14 at 2:06 am ET|
The Red Sox rotation is about to get awfully crowded.
Prior to Thursday’s game against the Athletics, the Red Sox announced that left-hander Felix Doubront will return from the disabled list on Friday to start against the A’s — a contest for which Brandon Workman had been slated until his six-game suspension sidelined him for the contest. Doubront, who was 2-4 with a 5.12 ERA before landing on the disabled list due to a bruise incurred when he banged his shoulder into a car door, pitched most recently in Triple-A Pawtucket on Sunday, when he threw five no-hit innings with 10 strikeouts and touched 94 mph on the radar gun.
Sometime next week, Clay Buchholz likewise will return from the DL after throwing six shutout innings on 90 pitches for Pawtucket on Thursday afternoon. For now, the Sox have yet to announce the precise date when Buchholz will make his big league start.
“We have a number of things, moving parts, and as we get through this weekend those decisions will become more clear,” manager John Farrell told reporters.
Buchholz’s performance was such that the team is hopeful that his early-season struggles — he’s 2-4 with a 7.02 ERA — will not follow him back to the big leagues.
“Hopefully we worked through a number of things that puts him into a place where the numbers that are on the record to date this year are just that, they’re in the past and we get a guy who is straightened out a little bit and ready to go,” Farrell told reporters.
What that means for the rest of the rotation is, at this time, unclear. While Brandon Workman and Rubby De La Rosa were both added to the rotation as a result of the DL stints for Buchholz and Doubront, both have delivered strong performances, with Workman owning a 1-0 record and 3.21 ERA and De La Rosa in possession of a 2.84 ERA as a starter.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel grabs first Double-A win, Craig reaches five times
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada breaks out, PawSox lose heartbreaker
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson goes six strong, Moncada picks up first hit
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada era begins; phenom scores twice in slugfest
- Weekly Notes: Moncada set to debut, Brian Johnson keeps producing
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech and Haley solid, Tejeda swinging a hot bat
- Yoan Moncada to debut with Greenville on Monday
- Cup of Coffee: Witte nearly hits for the cycle, Devers strong for Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Roberson hits for the cycle, Owens has impressive start
- Brian Johnson ignores the noise, dominates in Pawtucket