Felix Doubront to start Friday, Clay Buchholz ready to return to big leagues
|06.20.14 at 2:06 am ET|
The Red Sox rotation is about to get awfully crowded.
Prior to Thursday’s game against the Athletics, the Red Sox announced that left-hander Felix Doubront will return from the disabled list on Friday to start against the A’s — a contest for which Brandon Workman had been slated until his six-game suspension sidelined him for the contest. Doubront, who was 2-4 with a 5.12 ERA before landing on the disabled list due to a bruise incurred when he banged his shoulder into a car door, pitched most recently in Triple-A Pawtucket on Sunday, when he threw five no-hit innings with 10 strikeouts and touched 94 mph on the radar gun.
Sometime next week, Clay Buchholz likewise will return from the DL after throwing six shutout innings on 90 pitches for Pawtucket on Thursday afternoon. For now, the Sox have yet to announce the precise date when Buchholz will make his big league start.
“We have a number of things, moving parts, and as we get through this weekend those decisions will become more clear,” manager John Farrell told reporters.
Buchholz’s performance was such that the team is hopeful that his early-season struggles — he’s 2-4 with a 7.02 ERA — will not follow him back to the big leagues.
“Hopefully we worked through a number of things that puts him into a place where the numbers that are on the record to date this year are just that, they’re in the past and we get a guy who is straightened out a little bit and ready to go,” Farrell told reporters.
What that means for the rest of the rotation is, at this time, unclear. While Brandon Workman and Rubby De La Rosa were both added to the rotation as a result of the DL stints for Buchholz and Doubront, both have delivered strong performances, with Workman owning a 1-0 record and 3.21 ERA and De La Rosa in possession of a 2.84 ERA as a starter.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Ysla, Victor Diaz and Gerson Bautista
- Weekly Notes: Big league season comes to an end
- The Write-Up: Logan Allen, Travis Lakins, William Cuevas and Yankory Pimentel
- Weekly Notes: Season end awards & front office changes
- SoxProspects.com 2015 season-end award winners
- Travis, Moncada highlight Red Sox minor league awards
- Podcast Ep. 86: Season in Review, Pt. 1
- Weekly Notes: Moncada to play winter ball in Puerto Rico
- 2015 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Weekly Notes: Front office moves, Fall Instructs rosters announced