Friday’s Red Sox-Athletics matchups: Felix Doubront vs. Brad Mills
|06.20.14 at 8:12 am ET|
Friday marks Doubront’s first start since May 21, when the southpaw went on the disabled list with a shoulder strain. Doubront (2-4, 5.12 ERA) has made three rehab starts between Triple-A Pawtucket and Double-A Portland, allowing four runs over 13 2/3 innings (2.63 ERA) while striking out 15.
In his last Triple-A start on June 15 against the Charlotte Knights, Doubront struck out 10 batters over five no-hit innings.
“His last start was much improved in terms of overall stuff,” Red Sox manager John Farrell said Thursday. “There was increased intensity, increased velocity, increased action to his pitches that are going to be required here, and he gets the ball [Friday].”
Doubront will take the spot vacated by Brandon Workman, who began serving his six-game suspension for throwing behind Rays third baseman Evan Longoria on May 30.
Doubront’s last start against the A’s came on April 22, 2013, when the left-hander surrendered three earned runs and five walks in 6 2/3 innings of work. In three career starts against Oakland, Doubront is 1-2 with a 8.56 ERA.
Mills will be making his first start in the majors this season. The southpaw was traded from the Brewers to the A’s on Tuesday for a whopping $1. The price tag was a result of a clause in Mills’ contract that forced Milwaukee to put him on the trade market if he was not placed on an MLB roster by June 15.
“I thought it was a joke,” Mills said when asked about the trade. “Whatever they had to do to make it official, I’m all for. I don’t take it as a value of my worth as a ballplayer.”
Mills, who has posted an unimpressive 7.76 ERA in 15 career MLB appearances, held a 4-2 record with a 1.56 ERA in 14 appearances with Triple-A Nashville this season.
Mills last appearance against the Red Sox was on Sept. 13, 2011, during which the lefty did not record an out in a relief spot, allowing three earned runs in the process. In three career appearances (one start) against Boston, Mills is 0-0 with a 10.50 ERA.
Red Sox vs. Mills (LHP)
David Ortiz (4 plate appearances): .500/.500/1.250, 1 home run, 2 RBIs
Mike Napoli (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 single
Daniel Nava (1): .000/.000/.000
Dustin Pedroia has one double in one plate appearance vs. Mills.
Athletics vs. Doubront (LHP)
Alberto Callaspo (7): .286/.286/.571, 2 doubles
Coco Crisp (6): .400/.500/1.000, 1 home run, 1 RBI
Derek Norris (5): .200/.200/.200, 1 single, 4 strikeouts
Yoenis Cespedes (4): 500/.500/.500, 2 singles, 2 RBIs
Craig Gentry (4): .500/.500/.500, 2 singles, 1 RBI
Josh Donaldson (3): .500/.667/1.000, 1 double, 1 walk
John Jaso (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 single, 1 RBI
Jed Lowrie has one walk in three plate appearances vs. Doubront.
Brandon Moss (3): .000/.333/.000, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins