Shane Victorino slowed by stiffness in rehab assignment
|06.20.14 at 2:18 am ET|
Red Sox outfielder Shane Victorino, who was scheduled to play the first of three straight games for Triple-A Pawtucket on Thursday as part of his minor league rehab assignment, had to be scratched due to what manager John Farrell described to reporters in Oakland as “some overall stiffness.” (“Hamstring, lower back, it’s all in there,” Farrell said of the whereabouts of the soreness.)
Victorino received treatment on Thursday and will do the same on Friday with the intention of having him play again on Saturday.
“We still intend that he’ll be joining us on the West Coast,” Farrell told reporters, remaining true to the statement earlier in the month that the Sox expect Victorino to play during the current seven-game stretch against the A’s and Mariners. “While he’s not in the lineup I cant say it was a set-back, but we felt like he needed to get a couple days of work in.”
Victorino has played just 21 games so far this year, hitting .242 with a .276 OBP and .352 slugging mark. He’s amidst his second stint on the DL due to hamstring woes.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller