Source: Red Sox sign former Padres first-rounder Karsten Whitson
|06.21.14 at 11:39 am ET|
According to a major league source, the Red Sox have signed their 11th-round pick in the recent June amateur draft, pitcher Karsten Whitson, to a deal that includes a signing bonus of $100,000.
Whitson was the ninth overall pick in the 2010 draft, ultimately turning down a $2.1 million signing bonus from the Padres in order to attend the University of Florida.
The hurler’s decision back-fired, undergoing shoulder surgery as a junior (the first year he was once again eligible for the draft), before ultimately being selected by Washington in the 37th round of the ’13 draft.
Whitson returned to Florida for his senior season, making nine starts for the Gators before returning to the bullpen. He finished the ’14 campaign with a 3.86 ERA, hitting 96 mph during the SEC Tournament.
The pitcher could have returned for another year in Gainesville, Fla. due to his medical red-shirt, but instead agreed to terms with the Red Sox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Episode 113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?
- Fort Report: Owens struggles, Castillo seeks redemption
- Support SoxProspects in 2017