Red Sox sign top pick Michael Chavis
|06.23.14 at 1:00 pm ET|
The Red Sox‘ agreement with first-rounder Michael Chavis is official, with the slugging 18-year-old infielder having passed his physical.
Chavis, an infielder out of Sprayberry High School in Marietta, Georgia, will report to the Rookie Level Gulf Coast League in Fort Myers, Fla.
The deal is for the full slot value of a player taken (as Chavis was) with the No. 26 overall pick — with Chavis set to get a bonus of $1.8075 million.
As a senior, Chavis hit .580/.663/1.197 with 13 homers, 14 walks and 10 strikeouts in 28 games. He ranked 12th nationally with a 1.183 slugging percentage while leading his team to an 18-11 record and the Region 7AAAAA championship.
Chavis, who said he does not consider himself a home run hitter, gets results because he puts in the effort, according to his high school coach.
“He works at it a lot. He’s constantly in the cages and doing team work,” Sprayberry coach Phil Henderson told the Marietta Daily Journal. “As long as he stays healthy [in the Red Sox organization], the sky’s the limit. He’s going to work at it, no doubt about that. Work ethic has never been a problem.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Writers
- Top 40 in Review: Heath Hembree and Steven Wright
- Top 40 Season in Review: Javier Guerra and Henry Ramos
- Top 40 in Review: Simon Mercedes and Carlos Asuaje
- Top 40 Season in Review: Anderson Espinoza and Alex Hassan
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rivero, Castillo make early impressions
- Top 40 Season in Review: Noe Ramirez and Luis Diaz
- Top 40 Season in Review: Bryce Brentz and Christopher Acosta
- Top 40 Season in Review: Justin Haley and Jake Cosart
- Top 40 Season in Review: Drake Britton and Dalier Hinojosa