Red Sox sign top pick Michael Chavis
|06.23.14 at 1:00 pm ET|
The Red Sox‘ agreement with first-rounder Michael Chavis is official, with the slugging 18-year-old infielder having passed his physical.
Chavis, an infielder out of Sprayberry High School in Marietta, Georgia, will report to the Rookie Level Gulf Coast League in Fort Myers, Fla.
The deal is for the full slot value of a player taken (as Chavis was) with the No. 26 overall pick — with Chavis set to get a bonus of $1.8075 million.
As a senior, Chavis hit .580/.663/1.197 with 13 homers, 14 walks and 10 strikeouts in 28 games. He ranked 12th nationally with a 1.183 slugging percentage while leading his team to an 18-11 record and the Region 7AAAAA championship.
Chavis, who said he does not consider himself a home run hitter, gets results because he puts in the effort, according to his high school coach.
“He works at it a lot. He’s constantly in the cages and doing team work,” Sprayberry coach Phil Henderson told the Marietta Daily Journal. “As long as he stays healthy [in the Red Sox organization], the sky’s the limit. He’s going to work at it, no doubt about that. Work ethic has never been a problem.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz homers in both ends of doubleheader
- Minor Notes: Steen in critical condition after early morning car crash
- Scouting Scratch: Rafael Devers
- System Restart '17: Low-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Sexton allows one hit over six innings for Greenville
- System Restart '17: Mid-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd, Rei highlight quiet night in system
- System Restart '17: Upper-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Shawaryn strikes out nine as Drive cruise
- Minor Notes: Workman dominant in PawSox bullpen