Red Sox sign top pick Michael Chavis
|06.23.14 at 1:00 pm ET|
The Red Sox‘ agreement with first-rounder Michael Chavis is official, with the slugging 18-year-old infielder having passed his physical.
Chavis, an infielder out of Sprayberry High School in Marietta, Georgia, will report to the Rookie Level Gulf Coast League in Fort Myers, Fla.
The deal is for the full slot value of a player taken (as Chavis was) with the No. 26 overall pick — with Chavis set to get a bonus of $1.8075 million.
As a senior, Chavis hit .580/.663/1.197 with 13 homers, 14 walks and 10 strikeouts in 28 games. He ranked 12th nationally with a 1.183 slugging percentage while leading his team to an 18-11 record and the Region 7AAAAA championship.
Chavis, who said he does not consider himself a home run hitter, gets results because he puts in the effort, according to his high school coach.
“He works at it a lot. He’s constantly in the cages and doing team work,” Sprayberry coach Phil Henderson told the Marietta Daily Journal. “As long as he stays healthy [in the Red Sox organization], the sky’s the limit. He’s going to work at it, no doubt about that. Work ethic has never been a problem.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Updates on Red Sox Star Pablo Sandoval's Injury
- Ortiz Looks Determined to Go out with a Bang
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins shoves, Drive bats come alive
- Red Sox recall Light and Owens for Sunday night tilt