Red Sox sign top pick Michael Chavis
|06.23.14 at 1:00 pm ET|
The Red Sox‘ agreement with first-rounder Michael Chavis is official, with the slugging 18-year-old infielder having passed his physical.
Chavis, an infielder out of Sprayberry High School in Marietta, Georgia, will report to the Rookie Level Gulf Coast League in Fort Myers, Fla.
The deal is for the full slot value of a player taken (as Chavis was) with the No. 26 overall pick — with Chavis set to get a bonus of $1.8075 million.
As a senior, Chavis hit .580/.663/1.197 with 13 homers, 14 walks and 10 strikeouts in 28 games. He ranked 12th nationally with a 1.183 slugging percentage while leading his team to an 18-11 record and the Region 7AAAAA championship.
Chavis, who said he does not consider himself a home run hitter, gets results because he puts in the effort, according to his high school coach.
“He works at it a lot. He’s constantly in the cages and doing team work,” Sprayberry coach Phil Henderson told the Marietta Daily Journal. “As long as he stays healthy [in the Red Sox organization], the sky’s the limit. He’s going to work at it, no doubt about that. Work ethic has never been a problem.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles