Red Sox designate Chris Capuano for assignment to clear roster spot for Clay Buchholz
|06.25.14 at 6:46 pm ET|
Capuano, 35, signed a one-year, $2.25 million this spring to pitch out of the Red Sox bullpen. He got off to a tremendous start, logging 15 scoreless innings to start the season, but in his last 16 games (starting May 3), he allowed 17 runs (16 earned) in 16 2/3 innings with 14 strikeouts and 12 walks, ultimately moving from a high-leverage reliever to a bullpen afterthought, with a 4.55 ERA in 31 2/3 innings this year.
With Felix Doubront now available to the Sox as a bullpen option, Capuano’s performance as well as the team’s personnel made the Springfield native’s roster spot vulnerable.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins