David Ortiz supplies some kids with a ‘Babe Ruth-style’ moment (again)
|06.26.14 at 2:03 am ET|
SEATTLE — In the list of David Ortiz‘s accomplishments, it’s tough to tell where this one ranks. But Mike Carp would certainly put it right up there.
What Carp was referencing was Ortiz’s first-inning two-run home run, as the designated hitter took Seattle starter Hisashi Iwakuma well over the right-field fence on the third pitch of the at-bat.
But what truly made the moment came a few hours before.
Carp was showing around a group of young kids who were at Safeco Field as part of an event for Doernbecher Children’s Hospital in Portland, Oregon. He was filling in as host for the injured Shane Victorino, who was supposed to play host to the collection of elementary-age fans.
“They got here late and we didn’t get to show them BP or anything,” Carp said. “I brought them in, had some of the players sign some balls, and I caught David before he went out on the field and asked him if he would mind saying hi. And before he left he said, ‘I’m going to hit a home run for you guys today. I’m going to the moon!’ and walked away.”
And, a little time later, that’s exactly what he did, setting Carp off into a frenzy in the Red Sox dugout, telling anybody who would listen about the promise Ortiz had made.
“It was Babe Ruth-style. Legendary,” Carp said. “It’s one thing to tell your teammates, ‘Hey, I feel good today, I’m going to hit a home run.’ You tell little kids, 5 or 6 years old, that you’re going to hit a home run, they believe you. Then the very first swing you take is off the glass, you have to be kidding me.”
Ortiz just smiled when asked about the turn of events, suggesting this is simply part of his repertoire.
Has he made promises before? “I always do,” he said.
Has it ever come to fruition? “Most of the time,” Ortiz deadpanned. He continued, “I told them I was going to the moon and I did. Yay!”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza and Owens pitch well, Basabe leads Lowell
- Red Sox sign five more draftees, including first-round pick Benintendi
- 2015 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free! (close to goal)
- Cup of Coffee: Margot helps Portland earn split as part of crazy Monday schedule
- Weekly Notes: Top prospects on the move
- Cup of Coffee: Salem, Greenville bullpens fall apart, Pawtucket wins in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Margot homers in Hadlock debut
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon, Miller shine in Salem debuts
- Notes from the Field: Margot's Double-A debut and more
- Cup of Coffee: Portland welcomes new call-ups, Moncada has big night