David Ortiz supplies some kids with a ‘Babe Ruth-style’ moment (again)
|06.26.14 at 2:03 am ET|
SEATTLE — In the list of David Ortiz‘s accomplishments, it’s tough to tell where this one ranks. But Mike Carp would certainly put it right up there.
What Carp was referencing was Ortiz’s first-inning two-run home run, as the designated hitter took Seattle starter Hisashi Iwakuma well over the right-field fence on the third pitch of the at-bat.
But what truly made the moment came a few hours before.
Carp was showing around a group of young kids who were at Safeco Field as part of an event for Doernbecher Children’s Hospital in Portland, Oregon. He was filling in as host for the injured Shane Victorino, who was supposed to play host to the collection of elementary-age fans.
“They got here late and we didn’t get to show them BP or anything,” Carp said. “I brought them in, had some of the players sign some balls, and I caught David before he went out on the field and asked him if he would mind saying hi. And before he left he said, ‘I’m going to hit a home run for you guys today. I’m going to the moon!’ and walked away.”
And, a little time later, that’s exactly what he did, setting Carp off into a frenzy in the Red Sox dugout, telling anybody who would listen about the promise Ortiz had made.
“It was Babe Ruth-style. Legendary,” Carp said. “It’s one thing to tell your teammates, ‘Hey, I feel good today, I’m going to hit a home run.’ You tell little kids, 5 or 6 years old, that you’re going to hit a home run, they believe you. Then the very first swing you take is off the glass, you have to be kidding me.”
Ortiz just smiled when asked about the turn of events, suggesting this is simply part of his repertoire.
Has he made promises before? “I always do,” he said.
Has it ever come to fruition? “Most of the time,” Ortiz deadpanned. He continued, “I told them I was going to the moon and I did. Yay!”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.
- Red Sox name Mike Rikard Director of Amateur Scouting
- Top 40 in Review: Blake Swihart