After latest loss, David Ortiz not pleased with schedule, Red Sox performance
|06.27.14 at 10:52 pm ET|
NEW YORK — David Ortiz wasn’t happy.
He wasn’t happy with the way the Red Sox played in their 6-0 loss to the Yankees. The designated hitter wasn’t happy with how his team got to the point of playing the first of three games in New York. And he isn’t happy with what the Sox are presenting offensively on a regular basis.
First, the performance, which included being shutout for 5 2/3 innings by a pitcher (Vidal Nuno) with an ERA of 5.88.
“No energy,” he said. When asked to elaborate, Ortiz responded. “It just seemed like we weren’t there. We just have to figure it out.’
Then came the issue with the Red Sox schedule.
Even though the team is coming off an off-day, Ortiz cited the Sox’ schedule as a road block toward finding success.
The Red Sox had played 20 straight days prior to Thursday’s day off. They will have also spent 21 days on the road in June, currently finding themselves in the middle of a 10-game road trip that included seven West Coast games (including a night contest in Seattle Wednesday night before arriving in New York early Thursday morning).
“The schedule we have is just unbelievable,” Ortiz said. “It’s pretty bad, man. It’s pretty bad. I’m not using that as an excuse, but we’re human and we go everywhere to play, right? In my 18-year career I’ve never seen that. The schedule is we had to play the last game on the West Coast in a night game and then have to travel. It’s pretty bad. You have to do something about that at some point. It doesn’t help.”
Ortiz was also asked if the front office needed to make a move in order to help fix an offense that has scored a major league-low 32 runs over the last 13 games.
“I don’t know, man,” he said. ‘Our GM [Ben Cherington] is somewhere right here, ask that question to him. I’m just a player.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins