Red Sox lineup: A.J. Pierzynski catching Brandon Workman’s return
|06.27.14 at 3:09 pm ET|
NEW YORK — After missing a start while serving his six-game suspension for throwing behind the head of Rays third baseman Evan Longoria, Brandon Workman will return to the mound for the Red Sox to start against the Yankees on Friday night. A.J. Pierzynski (rather than David Ross) will be behind the plate to catch Workman, despite the fact that the Yankees will feature left-hander Vidal Nuno on the mound. Righties have hammered Nuno at a .289/.333/.536 clip with 13 homers; lefties have hit well against Nuno, though with less power, forging a .278/.349/.444 line with two homers against him.
Jonny Gomes will start in left field and bat fifth against Nuno. Daniel Nava will sit.
RED SOX LINEUP
Brock Holt, RF
Dustin Pedroia, 2B
David Ortiz, DH
Mike Napoli, 1B
Jonny Gomes, LF
A.J. Pierzynski, C
Xander Bogaerts, 3B
Stephen Drew, SS
Jackie Bradley Jr., CF
Brandon Workman, RHP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox deal Anthony Ranaudo to Rangers for Robbie Ross Jr.
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings