Red Sox lineup: A.J. Pierzynski catching Brandon Workman’s return
|06.27.14 at 3:09 pm ET|
NEW YORK — After missing a start while serving his six-game suspension for throwing behind the head of Rays third baseman Evan Longoria, Brandon Workman will return to the mound for the Red Sox to start against the Yankees on Friday night. A.J. Pierzynski (rather than David Ross) will be behind the plate to catch Workman, despite the fact that the Yankees will feature left-hander Vidal Nuno on the mound. Righties have hammered Nuno at a .289/.333/.536 clip with 13 homers; lefties have hit well against Nuno, though with less power, forging a .278/.349/.444 line with two homers against him.
Jonny Gomes will start in left field and bat fifth against Nuno. Daniel Nava will sit.
RED SOX LINEUP
Brock Holt, RF
Dustin Pedroia, 2B
David Ortiz, DH
Mike Napoli, 1B
Jonny Gomes, LF
A.J. Pierzynski, C
Xander Bogaerts, 3B
Stephen Drew, SS
Jackie Bradley Jr., CF
Brandon Workman, RHP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers