Red Sox lineup: A.J. Pierzynski catching Brandon Workman’s return
|06.27.14 at 3:09 pm ET|
NEW YORK — After missing a start while serving his six-game suspension for throwing behind the head of Rays third baseman Evan Longoria, Brandon Workman will return to the mound for the Red Sox to start against the Yankees on Friday night. A.J. Pierzynski (rather than David Ross) will be behind the plate to catch Workman, despite the fact that the Yankees will feature left-hander Vidal Nuno on the mound. Righties have hammered Nuno at a .289/.333/.536 clip with 13 homers; lefties have hit well against Nuno, though with less power, forging a .278/.349/.444 line with two homers against him.
Jonny Gomes will start in left field and bat fifth against Nuno. Daniel Nava will sit.
RED SOX LINEUP
Brock Holt, RF
Dustin Pedroia, 2B
David Ortiz, DH
Mike Napoli, 1B
Jonny Gomes, LF
A.J. Pierzynski, C
Xander Bogaerts, 3B
Stephen Drew, SS
Jackie Bradley Jr., CF
Brandon Workman, RHP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins