Red Sox sending down Rubby De La Rosa to clear spot for Mookie Betts
|06.28.14 at 3:46 pm ET|
NEW YORK — In five big league starts, right-hander Rubby De La Rosa was little short of spectacular for the Red Sox, forging a 2.51 ERA with 30 strikeouts and just eight walks in 32 1/3 innings. But for now, he will represent a Triple-A depth option rather than a member of the rotation.
De La Rosa was optioned to Triple-A Pawtucket to clear a roster spot for Mookie Betts. The Red Sox had been enduring a roster imbalance since the return of Clay Buchholz from the DL, with 13 pitchers — including six starters even after the move of Felix Doubront to the bullpen — and 12 position players.
The team had wanted to get back to 12 pitchers while adding a position player, but with some minor health questions about the members of the rotation, the team held off on making a move until it was confident that the quintet of Jon Lester, John Lackey, Clay Buchholz, Brandon Workman and Jake Peavy will be ready to take the ball for the next turn.
Confident that those five will indeed be able to make their starts, the decision was made to option De La Rosa to Triple-A, where he will offer major league-ready depth in case of any injury. De La Rosa allowed one or no runs while delivering seven innings in three of his five starts — accounting for three of the 11 starts with that kind of dominance by Red Sox pitchers this year.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Hassan stays hot; Victorino looks strong in rehab
- Cup of Coffee: Heller and Martinez lead Salem; Travis powers Lowell
- Red Sox acquire left-hander Ryan Verdugo from Royals
- Players of the Week, 7/7-13: Alex Hassan & Steven Wright
- Cup of Coffee: Roberson powers Greenville past Rome
- Cup of Coffee: Moore homers twice to power Spinners
- Weekly Notes: Boston turns to Vazquez, Owens' star shines bright
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero leads PawSox, Spinners fall at Fenway
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson keeps rolling, Blair hits game-winner
- Scouting Scratch: Allen Webster and Dalier Hinojosa