Saturday’s Red Sox-Yankees matchups: Jon Lester vs. Masahiro Tanaka
|06.28.14 at 10:39 am ET|
With his team in danger of being swept in four games in Oakland, Lester (8-7, 3.14 ERA) did all he could to snap the Red Sox‘ skid last Sunday. The left-hander went 7 2/3 innings, giving up three runs — two earned — on four hits and two walks in a 7-6 Red Sox win. He struck out four batters and took his first no-decision of the season.
Lester certainly has looked like an ace as of late. He’s 2-0 with a 1.66 ERA in his last three outings and has had quality starts in five of his last six games. Lester has gone at least seven innings in three of his last five starts.
Lester will face the Yankees for the 29th time in his career on Saturday, the second most he’s games pitched against any team (he has 30 career starts against the Blue Jays). He’s 12-6 with a 3.96 ERA in those 28 starts, two of which came this season.
Lester beat the Yankees in the teams’ first meeting this season on April 11, giving up two runs, six hits and two walks with six strikeouts over 6 2/3 innings in a 4-2 win at Yankee Stadium. The lefty lasted just 4 2/3 innings in his most recent start against New York on April 22, giving up eight runs — just three earned — on 11 hits and four walks in a 9-3 Yankees win.
It’s not often when three earned runs over seven innings is considered a bad day for a starting pitcher. But when it’s someone who has been as dominant as Tanaka this season, it’s about as close to a poor outing as one will find. Tanaka (11-2, 2.11 ERA) suffered just his second loss in what has been a stellar rookie season on Sunday. The 25-year-old gave up six hits and a walk to go with the three runs for his 15th straight quality start, but had no run support in an 8-0 Yankees loss to the Orioles.
Said catcher Brian McCann: “I thought he pitched well. Just in the seventh inning, he got a couple of pitches up in the zone, out over the plate. When you score some runs, it’s easier to go out there and pitch. We didn’t hit for him today.”
Tanaka significantly outpitched Lester at Fenway Park in his lone meeting against the Red Sox April 22. The two runs he gave up came on solo home runs by David Ortiz and Mike Napoli. He allowed seven hits, no walks and struck out seven.
Red Sox vs. Tanaka (RHP)
Xander Bogaerts (3 plate appearances): .000 AVG/.000 OBP/.000 SLG, 1 strikeout
Jackie Bradley (3): .333/.333/.333
Jonny Gomes (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Brock Holt (3): .333/.333/.333
Mike Napoli (3): .667/.667/2.000, 1 HR, 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
David Ortiz (3): .333/.333/1.333, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Dustin Pedroia (3): .333/.333/.667, 1 double
A.J. Pierzynski (3): .333/.333/.667, 1 double, 2 strikeouts
Yankees vs. Lester (LHP)
Derek Jeter (75 plate appearances): .338 AVG/.400 OBP/.397 SLG, 1 HR, 1 double, 9 RBIs, 6 walks, 11 strikeouts
Brian Roberts (57): .235/.316/.471, 2 HR, 6 doubles, 2 RBIs, 6 walks, 10 strikeouts
Ichiro Suzuki (55): .340/.364/.453, 2 HR, 4 RBIs, 2 walks, 5 strikeouts
Mark Teixeira (53): .243/.321/.340, 1 HR, 2 doubles, 5 RBIs, 5 walks, 18 strikeouts
Alfonso Soriano (19): .316/.316/.526, 1 HR, 1 double, 2 RBIs, 7 strikeouts
Kelly Johnson (17): .067/.176/.067, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts
Brett Gardner (12): .182/.250/.182, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Brendan Ryan (12): .333/.333/.500, 2 doubles, 2 strikeouts
Francisco Cervelli (10): .222/.300/.222, 2 RBIs, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Carlos Beltran (9): .286/.444/.286, 1 RBI, 2 walk, 2 strikeouts
Jacoby Ellsbury (7): .500/.571/1.000, 1 triple, 1 double, 2 RBIs, 1 walk
Brian McCann (7): .667/.714/.833, 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Yangervis Solarte (6): .000/.000/.000, 4 strikeouts
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins