Source: No meaningful progress in Jon Lester negotiations
|06.29.14 at 10:33 pm ET|
In the wake of a report from ESPN’s Buster Olney that the Red Sox “have re-engaged Lester’s representation in recent hours” and are “taking what might be one last run at trying to sign the left-hander,” an industry source downplayed the significance of the contact. While the Red Sox do seem to want to re-engage with Lester, there have been no signs of progress that would point towards an increased likelihood of an agreement.
Lester, according to the source, does not want in-season talks to become a distraction from pitching — something he fears could happen if the negotiations were to last any more than a few days.
Lester is now 9-7 with a career-best 2.92 ERA with 9.1 strikeouts and a career-low 2.3 walks per nine innings in 17 starts this year. He’s averaging 6 2/3 innings per start, and is tied for the team lead with 12 quality starts.
“He’s been our ace,” manager John Farrell told reporters on Saturday night, after Lester bested Masahiro Tanaka and the Yankees, 2-1. “He’s been the guy we’ve looked to every time he’s walked to the mound, to give us an opportunity to win.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Owens, others struggle on mound
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza dominates in mid-week matinee
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez fires seven strong innings in rehab start
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101
- Cup of Coffee: Moore comes through in the clutch for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada wins it in extras