Source: No meaningful progress in Jon Lester negotiations
|06.29.14 at 10:33 pm ET|
In the wake of a report from ESPN’s Buster Olney that the Red Sox “have re-engaged Lester’s representation in recent hours” and are “taking what might be one last run at trying to sign the left-hander,” an industry source downplayed the significance of the contact. While the Red Sox do seem to want to re-engage with Lester, there have been no signs of progress that would point towards an increased likelihood of an agreement.
Lester, according to the source, does not want in-season talks to become a distraction from pitching — something he fears could happen if the negotiations were to last any more than a few days.
Lester is now 9-7 with a career-best 2.92 ERA with 9.1 strikeouts and a career-low 2.3 walks per nine innings in 17 starts this year. He’s averaging 6 2/3 innings per start, and is tied for the team lead with 12 quality starts.
“He’s been our ace,” manager John Farrell told reporters on Saturday night, after Lester bested Masahiro Tanaka and the Yankees, 2-1. “He’s been the guy we’ve looked to every time he’s walked to the mound, to give us an opportunity to win.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Concerned Should Red Sox Be over Price's Roller-Coaster 2016?
- Latest Updates on Chris Young's Hamstring Injury
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Jerez and Romanski selected to Eastern League All-Star Game
- Cup of Coffee: Castillo powers PawSox
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas