Source: No meaningful progress in Jon Lester negotiations
|06.29.14 at 10:33 pm ET|
In the wake of a report from ESPN’s Buster Olney that the Red Sox “have re-engaged Lester’s representation in recent hours” and are “taking what might be one last run at trying to sign the left-hander,” an industry source downplayed the significance of the contact. While the Red Sox do seem to want to re-engage with Lester, there have been no signs of progress that would point towards an increased likelihood of an agreement.
Lester, according to the source, does not want in-season talks to become a distraction from pitching — something he fears could happen if the negotiations were to last any more than a few days.
Lester is now 9-7 with a career-best 2.92 ERA with 9.1 strikeouts and a career-low 2.3 walks per nine innings in 17 starts this year. He’s averaging 6 2/3 innings per start, and is tied for the team lead with 12 quality starts.
“He’s been our ace,” manager John Farrell told reporters on Saturday night, after Lester bested Masahiro Tanaka and the Yankees, 2-1. “He’s been the guy we’ve looked to every time he’s walked to the mound, to give us an opportunity to win.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered
- Weekly Notes: Groome signs, Espinoza traded, Marrero is All-Star MVP
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Hill rakes in Lowell loss