Source: No meaningful progress in Jon Lester negotiations
|06.29.14 at 10:33 pm ET|
In the wake of a report from ESPN’s Buster Olney that the Red Sox “have re-engaged Lester’s representation in recent hours” and are “taking what might be one last run at trying to sign the left-hander,” an industry source downplayed the significance of the contact. While the Red Sox do seem to want to re-engage with Lester, there have been no signs of progress that would point towards an increased likelihood of an agreement.
Lester, according to the source, does not want in-season talks to become a distraction from pitching — something he fears could happen if the negotiations were to last any more than a few days.
Lester is now 9-7 with a career-best 2.92 ERA with 9.1 strikeouts and a career-low 2.3 walks per nine innings in 17 starts this year. He’s averaging 6 2/3 innings per start, and is tied for the team lead with 12 quality starts.
“He’s been our ace,” manager John Farrell told reporters on Saturday night, after Lester bested Masahiro Tanaka and the Yankees, 2-1. “He’s been the guy we’ve looked to every time he’s walked to the mound, to give us an opportunity to win.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas and Maxwell lead the PawSox
- Podcast Ep. 95: One month in, start it up again
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez, Smith begin rehab assignments
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis