Second baseman Sean Coyle to replace promoted Mookie Betts in the Futures Game
|06.30.14 at 9:02 pm ET|
With Mookie Betts skyrocketing to the majors, another hot hitter, Sea Dogs second baseman Sean Coyle, will take Betts’ roster spot on the United States team for the Futures Game, the annual showcase for minor league talent that precedes the All-Star Game.
It’s been a good week for Coyle, who was also named the Eastern League Player of the Week on Monday.
His six-game hitting streak, over which he’s gone 11-for-21 with five extra-base hits, earned him the weekly honor. The 22-year-old is hitting .363 with a .444 OBP and a .615 slugging mark (16 doubles, a triple and nine home runs) through 52 games in his first Double-A season. Coyle missed a chunk of time early in the season with a hamstring injury, but has been outstanding for the Sea Dogs since returning. Though he doesn’t not have enough at-bats to qualify, if he did, he’d be leading the Eastern League in batting average and OPS. The infielder owns a .263/.351/.466 line through four full professional seasons, and put together an unremarkable, injury-plagued campaign in 2013, spending his second straight year with High-A Salem.
The Futures Game will take place on July 14 at Target Field in Minnesota. Coyle will join left-hander Henry Owens, who was previously named to the team as one of Boston’s two representatives.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot