Second baseman Sean Coyle to replace promoted Mookie Betts in the Futures Game
|06.30.14 at 9:02 pm ET|
With Mookie Betts skyrocketing to the majors, another hot hitter, Sea Dogs second baseman Sean Coyle, will take Betts’ roster spot on the United States team for the Futures Game, the annual showcase for minor league talent that precedes the All-Star Game.
It’s been a good week for Coyle, who was also named the Eastern League Player of the Week on Monday.
His six-game hitting streak, over which he’s gone 11-for-21 with five extra-base hits, earned him the weekly honor. The 22-year-old is hitting .363 with a .444 OBP and a .615 slugging mark (16 doubles, a triple and nine home runs) through 52 games in his first Double-A season. Coyle missed a chunk of time early in the season with a hamstring injury, but has been outstanding for the Sea Dogs since returning. Though he doesn’t not have enough at-bats to qualify, if he did, he’d be leading the Eastern League in batting average and OPS. The infielder owns a .263/.351/.466 line through four full professional seasons, and put together an unremarkable, injury-plagued campaign in 2013, spending his second straight year with High-A Salem.
The Futures Game will take place on July 14 at Target Field in Minnesota. Coyle will join left-hander Henry Owens, who was previously named to the team as one of Boston’s two representatives.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs