Second baseman Sean Coyle to replace promoted Mookie Betts in the Futures Game
|06.30.14 at 9:02 pm ET|
With Mookie Betts skyrocketing to the majors, another hot hitter, Sea Dogs second baseman Sean Coyle, will take Betts’ roster spot on the United States team for the Futures Game, the annual showcase for minor league talent that precedes the All-Star Game.
It’s been a good week for Coyle, who was also named the Eastern League Player of the Week on Monday.
His six-game hitting streak, over which he’s gone 11-for-21 with five extra-base hits, earned him the weekly honor. The 22-year-old is hitting .363 with a .444 OBP and a .615 slugging mark (16 doubles, a triple and nine home runs) through 52 games in his first Double-A season. Coyle missed a chunk of time early in the season with a hamstring injury, but has been outstanding for the Sea Dogs since returning. Though he doesn’t not have enough at-bats to qualify, if he did, he’d be leading the Eastern League in batting average and OPS. The infielder owns a .263/.351/.466 line through four full professional seasons, and put together an unremarkable, injury-plagued campaign in 2013, spending his second straight year with High-A Salem.
The Futures Game will take place on July 14 at Target Field in Minnesota. Coyle will join left-hander Henry Owens, who was previously named to the team as one of Boston’s two representatives.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Buttrey stays unbeaten; Longhi's bat paces Drive
- Scouting Scratch: High minors bullpen arms
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada returns, Bradley Jr. goes off
- Eduardo Rodriguez to be recalled for Thursday start
- Cup of Coffee: Roof and Tekotte go back-to-back in Portland win
- The Write-Up: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Stankiewicz fires eight-inning gem to lead Salem
- Weekly Notes: The Yoan Moncada era begins
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shuts down Dash offense, Callahan has wild outing
- Cup of Coffee: Witte walks off for Portland, Buttrey goes seven strong for Salem