Second baseman Sean Coyle to replace promoted Mookie Betts in the Futures Game
|06.30.14 at 9:02 pm ET|
With Mookie Betts skyrocketing to the majors, another hot hitter, Sea Dogs second baseman Sean Coyle, will take Betts’ roster spot on the United States team for the Futures Game, the annual showcase for minor league talent that precedes the All-Star Game.
It’s been a good week for Coyle, who was also named the Eastern League Player of the Week on Monday.
His six-game hitting streak, over which he’s gone 11-for-21 with five extra-base hits, earned him the weekly honor. The 22-year-old is hitting .363 with a .444 OBP and a .615 slugging mark (16 doubles, a triple and nine home runs) through 52 games in his first Double-A season. Coyle missed a chunk of time early in the season with a hamstring injury, but has been outstanding for the Sea Dogs since returning. Though he doesn’t not have enough at-bats to qualify, if he did, he’d be leading the Eastern League in batting average and OPS. The infielder owns a .263/.351/.466 line through four full professional seasons, and put together an unremarkable, injury-plagued campaign in 2013, spending his second straight year with High-A Salem.
The Futures Game will take place on July 14 at Target Field in Minnesota. Coyle will join left-hander Henry Owens, who was previously named to the team as one of Boston’s two representatives.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven