According to leaked report, Astros wanted Xander Bogaerts for Bud Norris in 2013
|07.01.14 at 5:27 am ET|
When the Red Sox needed a starting pitcher at the trade deadline in 2013, Astros pitcher Bud Norris was one of the top pitchers on the trade market. So Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington asked about the cost to acquire Norris.
Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow wanted Xander Bogaerts, one of the top prospects in all of baseball.
According to the leaked contents of the Astros’ online database acquired by Deadspin, the Astros eyed Bogaerts when the Sox inquired about what it would take to acquire Norris. According to the transcripts, Luhnow texted Cherington that it would take Bogaerts, Allen Webster, Jackie Bradley Jr. or Garin Cecchini to “get in the conversation” for a deal to deliver Norris to Boston.
Cherington countered by offering Ryan Lavarnway or Deven Marrero, which represented a rather significant drop-off in prospect quality. Cherington told Luhnow that he would not consider trading Bogaerts, Webster, Bradley or Cecchini but would let him know if the circumstances changed.
As hindsight shows, nothing changed from Boston’s perspective. Cherington told Luhnow on July 29 that he believed that the team had enough depth to make an appealing package for Norris. Luhnow then inquired about lefty Henry Owens and Matt Barnes. According to the documents, Cherington did not reply to the message, and Norris became an Oriole.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Notes from the Field: Spruill, Marrero, Hernandez in Allentown
- Cup of Coffee: Reign delay for the GCL Red Sox
- Sam Travis highlights six announced for Arizona Fall League
- Moncada's big year nets him multiple South Atlantic League honors
- Cup of Coffee: Perez leads GCL Sox to walk-off win in finals opener
- Weekly Notes: Greenville makes playoff push, GCL Sox reach finals
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, De Jesus pitch Sox into GCL finals
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Greenville to victory
- Cup of Coffee: Callahan helps move Greenville into wild card lead
- Podcast Ep. 84: Mailbag extravaganza!