According to leaked report, Astros wanted Xander Bogaerts for Bud Norris in 2013
|07.01.14 at 5:27 am ET|
When the Red Sox needed a starting pitcher at the trade deadline in 2013, Astros pitcher Bud Norris was one of the top pitchers on the trade market. So Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington asked about the cost to acquire Norris.
Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow wanted Xander Bogaerts, one of the top prospects in all of baseball.
According to the leaked contents of the Astros’ online database acquired by Deadspin, the Astros eyed Bogaerts when the Sox inquired about what it would take to acquire Norris. According to the transcripts, Luhnow texted Cherington that it would take Bogaerts, Allen Webster, Jackie Bradley Jr. or Garin Cecchini to “get in the conversation” for a deal to deliver Norris to Boston.
Cherington countered by offering Ryan Lavarnway or Deven Marrero, which represented a rather significant drop-off in prospect quality. Cherington told Luhnow that he would not consider trading Bogaerts, Webster, Bradley or Cecchini but would let him know if the circumstances changed.
As hindsight shows, nothing changed from Boston’s perspective. Cherington told Luhnow on July 29 that he believed that the team had enough depth to make an appealing package for Norris. Luhnow then inquired about lefty Henry Owens and Matt Barnes. According to the documents, Cherington did not reply to the message, and Norris became an Oriole.
The Red Sox soon thereafter traded for Jake Peavy, giving up Jose Iglesias and Francellis Montas.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Roberson powers Greenville past Rome
- Cup of Coffee: Moore homers twice to power Spinners
- Weekly Notes: Boston turns to Vazquez, Owens' star shines bright
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero leads PawSox, Spinners fall at Fenway
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson keeps rolling, Blair hits game-winner
- Scouting Scratch: Allen Webster and Dalier Hinojosa
- Cup of Coffee: Pawtucket's offense explodes, Portland swept
- Cup of Coffee: Knuckleballer Wright cruises in Pawtucket, Portland drops two
- Red Sox call up Christian Vazquez
- Scouting Scratch: Early reports from Lowell