According to leaked report, Astros wanted Xander Bogaerts for Bud Norris in 2013
|07.01.14 at 5:27 am ET|
When the Red Sox needed a starting pitcher at the trade deadline in 2013, Astros pitcher Bud Norris was one of the top pitchers on the trade market. So Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington asked about the cost to acquire Norris.
Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow wanted Xander Bogaerts, one of the top prospects in all of baseball.
According to the leaked contents of the Astros’ online database acquired by Deadspin, the Astros eyed Bogaerts when the Sox inquired about what it would take to acquire Norris. According to the transcripts, Luhnow texted Cherington that it would take Bogaerts, Allen Webster, Jackie Bradley Jr. or Garin Cecchini to “get in the conversation” for a deal to deliver Norris to Boston.
Cherington countered by offering Ryan Lavarnway or Deven Marrero, which represented a rather significant drop-off in prospect quality. Cherington told Luhnow that he would not consider trading Bogaerts, Webster, Bradley or Cecchini but would let him know if the circumstances changed.
As hindsight shows, nothing changed from Boston’s perspective. Cherington told Luhnow on July 29 that he believed that the team had enough depth to make an appealing package for Norris. Luhnow then inquired about lefty Henry Owens and Matt Barnes. According to the documents, Cherington did not reply to the message, and Norris became an Oriole.
The Red Sox soon thereafter traded for Jake Peavy, giving up Jose Iglesias and Francellis Montas.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Justin Haley promoted to Portland; Jonathan Aro moved up to Salem
- Players of the Week, 7/21-27: Brian Johnson & Travis Shaw
- Cup of Coffee: Rain can't dampen Augliera, Swihart
- Weekly Notes: Trade deadline approaches
- Cup of Coffee: Light continues to shine, Portland mounts a comeback
- Red Sox acquire two pitching prospects in Peavy trade
- Cup of Coffee: Pawtucket pushes streak to 11 games
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson strikes out 12 in win, Betts leads PawSox in route
- The Write-Up: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Owens falters in Futures rematch; Shaw leads PawSox