Red Sox trade Rich Hill to Angels as part of flurry of transactions
|07.01.14 at 3:21 pm ET|
The Red Sox traded left-hander Rich Hill to the Angels in exchange for cash, the team announced. Hill, 34, was 3-3 with a 3.23 ERA, 10.4 strikeouts and 3.9 walks per nine innings in 39 frames with Triple-A Pawtucket.
He signed a minor league deal with his hometown team this spring in order to remain close to home after the tragic death of his infant son in February. Hill had been commuting to and from Pawtucket from his residence in Boston. He’d held lefties to a .196 average with no extra-base hits while punching out 16 of the 53 (30 percent) lefties he’d faced for the Sox’ highest affiliate. He was added to the Angels big league roster as soon as the trade became official.
Also on Tuesday, the Red Sox announced that left-hander Chris Capuano — designated for assignment last week to clear a roster spot for Clay Buchholz — had been released, making him a free agent. The 35-year-old started brilliantly, with 15 scoreless innings, but over May and June permitted 16 runs in 16 2/3 innings. He is now a free agent.
Corner infielder Michael Almanzar, selected from the Red Sox by the Orioles in the Rule 5 draft in December, was returned to the Sox by Baltimore. Almanzar was acquired when the O’s needed third base depth to protect them with Manny Machado on the DL to open the year; however, even though he spent the season on the major league roster (as required of a Rule 5 draft pick), he did not play a single game in the big leagues, and played just nine games for Orioles minor league affiliates on rehab assignments, hitting .156/.229/.344 in 35 plate appearances. Almanzar will join the Sox’ Double-A affliate in Portland, where he spent all of 2013, hitting .268/.328/.432 with 16 homers in 131 games.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins, Anderson deal, Swihart homers
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz homers in both ends of doubleheader
- Minor Notes: Steen in critical condition after early morning car crash
- Scouting Scratch: Rafael Devers
- System Restart '17: Low-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Sexton allows one hit over six innings for Greenville
- System Restart '17: Mid-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd, Rei highlight quiet night in system
- System Restart '17: Upper-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Shawaryn strikes out nine as Drive cruise