Red Sox trade Rich Hill to Angels as part of flurry of transactions
|07.01.14 at 3:21 pm ET|
The Red Sox traded left-hander Rich Hill to the Angels in exchange for cash, the team announced. Hill, 34, was 3-3 with a 3.23 ERA, 10.4 strikeouts and 3.9 walks per nine innings in 39 frames with Triple-A Pawtucket.
He signed a minor league deal with his hometown team this spring in order to remain close to home after the tragic death of his infant son in February. Hill had been commuting to and from Pawtucket from his residence in Boston. He’d held lefties to a .196 average with no extra-base hits while punching out 16 of the 53 (30 percent) lefties he’d faced for the Sox’ highest affiliate. He was added to the Angels big league roster as soon as the trade became official.
Also on Tuesday, the Red Sox announced that left-hander Chris Capuano — designated for assignment last week to clear a roster spot for Clay Buchholz — had been released, making him a free agent. The 35-year-old started brilliantly, with 15 scoreless innings, but over May and June permitted 16 runs in 16 2/3 innings. He is now a free agent.
Corner infielder Michael Almanzar, selected from the Red Sox by the Orioles in the Rule 5 draft in December, was returned to the Sox by Baltimore. Almanzar was acquired when the O’s needed third base depth to protect them with Manny Machado on the DL to open the year; however, even though he spent the season on the major league roster (as required of a Rule 5 draft pick), he did not play a single game in the big leagues, and played just nine games for Orioles minor league affiliates on rehab assignments, hitting .156/.229/.344 in 35 plate appearances. Almanzar will join the Sox’ Double-A affliate in Portland, where he spent all of 2013, hitting .268/.328/.432 with 16 homers in 131 games.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox deal Anthony Ranaudo to Rangers for Robbie Ross Jr.
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler