Red Sox promote shortstop Deven Marrero to Triple-A Pawtucket
|07.02.14 at 3:26 pm ET|
Red Sox shortstop prospect Deven Marrero, amidst a strong season in Double-A that suggested considerable offensive progress from a year ago, was promoted from Portland to Triple-A Pawtucket on Wednesday. Marrero, 23, is hitting .287 with a .368 OBP, .429 slugging mark, five homers and 26 extra-base hits in 68 games, representing statistical improvement by every hitting measure over his first full pro season, in which the 2012 first-rounder hit .252/.338/.317 with two homers and 22 extra-base hits in 104 games between High-A and Double-A.
He’s also an extremely polished defender who projects to offer well above-average defense at shortstop, with some evaluators likening his defense to the steadiness of Stephen Drew but with greater range and the potential for more spectacular plays. He projects as a first division major league starting shortstop.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings
- Weekly Notes: Groome debuts, Kopech and Dalbec stay hot
- Cup of Coffee: Salem wins 10th straight, Hill, Tubbs carry Lowell
- Podcast Ep. #104: BeninBoston
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Luis Alexander Basabe