Red Sox slugging prospect Rafael Devers gets promoted to Gulf Coast League
|07.02.14 at 11:03 pm ET|
According to an industry source, the 17-year-old — the jewel of the Red Sox‘ 2013 international amateur free agent class — will report to Fort Myers on Thursday to join the Red Sox‘ Rookie Level Gulf Coast League affiliate. While the GCL Sox represent the lowest rung of the minor league ladder in the States, the fact that Devers is advancing to that level of competition before the end of his first pro season speaks volumes about how impressive he’s been.
In 28 games, the third baseman hit .337 with a .445 OBP and .538 slugging mark with a dozen extra-base hits (six doubles, three triples, three homers), 21 walks and 20 strikeouts. All but one of those extra-base hits came for the left-handed hitting Devers against right-handed pitching, which he pulverized for a .372/.467/.593 line.
In advancing to the GCL, Devers is moving more aggressively than did Xander Bogaerts and Manuel Margot, among other recent top international amateur prospects. But Devers’ offensive dominance (albeit as a corner player — unlike Bogaerts and Margot, who were athletic up-the-middle players) separated him from virtually all offensive performers for the Sox’ DSL affiliate in recent years.
Devers’ middle-of-the-order potential gives him as high a ceiling as virtually any position player in the Red Sox system, even though he remains years away from the big leagues.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Boston Red Sox: Ranking the Top 10 Prospects Ahead of Spring Training
- Red Sox Spring Training 2017 Preview: Predictions, Players to Watch and...
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016