Red Sox slugging prospect Rafael Devers gets promoted to Gulf Coast League
|07.02.14 at 11:03 pm ET|
According to an industry source, the 17-year-old — the jewel of the Red Sox‘ 2013 international amateur free agent class — will report to Fort Myers on Thursday to join the Red Sox‘ Rookie Level Gulf Coast League affiliate. While the GCL Sox represent the lowest rung of the minor league ladder in the States, the fact that Devers is advancing to that level of competition before the end of his first pro season speaks volumes about how impressive he’s been.
In 28 games, the third baseman hit .337 with a .445 OBP and .538 slugging mark with a dozen extra-base hits (six doubles, three triples, three homers), 21 walks and 20 strikeouts. All but one of those extra-base hits came for the left-handed hitting Devers against right-handed pitching, which he pulverized for a .372/.467/.593 line.
In advancing to the GCL, Devers is moving more aggressively than did Xander Bogaerts and Manuel Margot, among other recent top international amateur prospects. But Devers’ offensive dominance (albeit as a corner player — unlike Bogaerts and Margot, who were athletic up-the-middle players) separated him from virtually all offensive performers for the Sox’ DSL affiliate in recent years.
Devers’ middle-of-the-order potential gives him as high a ceiling as virtually any position player in the Red Sox system, even though he remains years away from the big leagues.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks, Dubon debut at Double-A, Lowell wins again