Red Sox lineup: David Ortiz sits Game 1, A.J. Pierzynski DH’ing
|07.05.14 at 10:54 am ET|
Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz will miss Game 1 of Saturday’s double-header against the Orioles with A.J. Pierzynski serving as the designated hitter in his place. Ortiz is returning from a previously scheduled family commitment in the Dominican Republic.
“He is returning from a family commitment that has been scheduled for quite some time in the Dominican,” manager John Farrell said Saturday morning. “He was going to miss yesterday’s game, but it just happens that it turns into the first game of today. Fully expect him to be in the lineup tonight.”
Ortiz posted on his Twitter account a picture of him and his daughter at her graduation.
Happy and proud dad At my baby girl graduation… pic.twitter.com/O452zI5zVk
Mookie Betts will get the afternoon off after starting in four straight games. The outfield will have Daniel Nava in left, Jackie Bradley Jr. in center and Brock Holt in right going up against O’s right-hander Miguel Gonzalez. David Ross will get the nod behind the plate with Jon Lester on the mound.
RED SOX LINEUP
Brock Holt, RF
Daniel Nava, LF
Dustin Pedroia, 2B
Mike Napoli, 1B
A.J. Pierzynski, DH
Xander Bogaerts, 3B
Stephen Drew, SS
David Ross, C
Jackie Bradley Jr., CF
Jon Lester, LHP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo