Red Sox lineup: David Ortiz sits Game 1, A.J. Pierzynski DH’ing
|07.05.14 at 10:54 am ET|
Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz will miss Game 1 of Saturday’s double-header against the Orioles with A.J. Pierzynski serving as the designated hitter in his place. Ortiz is returning from a previously scheduled family commitment in the Dominican Republic.
“He is returning from a family commitment that has been scheduled for quite some time in the Dominican,” manager John Farrell said Saturday morning. “He was going to miss yesterday’s game, but it just happens that it turns into the first game of today. Fully expect him to be in the lineup tonight.”
Ortiz posted on his Twitter account a picture of him and his daughter at her graduation.
Happy and proud dad At my baby girl graduation… pic.twitter.com/O452zI5zVk
Mookie Betts will get the afternoon off after starting in four straight games. The outfield will have Daniel Nava in left, Jackie Bradley Jr. in center and Brock Holt in right going up against O’s right-hander Miguel Gonzalez. David Ross will get the nod behind the plate with Jon Lester on the mound.
RED SOX LINEUP
Brock Holt, RF
Daniel Nava, LF
Dustin Pedroia, 2B
Mike Napoli, 1B
A.J. Pierzynski, DH
Xander Bogaerts, 3B
Stephen Drew, SS
David Ross, C
Jackie Bradley Jr., CF
Jon Lester, LHP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Trade analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox deal Anthony Ranaudo to Rangers for Robbie Ross Jr.
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler