Red Sox lineup: David Ortiz sits Game 1, A.J. Pierzynski DH’ing
|07.05.14 at 10:54 am ET|
Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz will miss Game 1 of Saturday’s double-header against the Orioles with A.J. Pierzynski serving as the designated hitter in his place. Ortiz is returning from a previously scheduled family commitment in the Dominican Republic.
“He is returning from a family commitment that has been scheduled for quite some time in the Dominican,” manager John Farrell said Saturday morning. “He was going to miss yesterday’s game, but it just happens that it turns into the first game of today. Fully expect him to be in the lineup tonight.”
Ortiz posted on his Twitter account a picture of him and his daughter at her graduation.
Happy and proud dad At my baby girl graduation… pic.twitter.com/O452zI5zVk
Mookie Betts will get the afternoon off after starting in four straight games. The outfield will have Daniel Nava in left, Jackie Bradley Jr. in center and Brock Holt in right going up against O’s right-hander Miguel Gonzalez. David Ross will get the nod behind the plate with Jon Lester on the mound.
RED SOX LINEUP
Brock Holt, RF
Daniel Nava, LF
Dustin Pedroia, 2B
Mike Napoli, 1B
A.J. Pierzynski, DH
Xander Bogaerts, 3B
Stephen Drew, SS
David Ross, C
Jackie Bradley Jr., CF
Jon Lester, LHP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi blasts first professional home run
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts, Stankiewicz shines for Salem
- Red Sox purchase contract of pitcher Noe Ramirez
- Johnson named to International League All-Star Team
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech goes six strong, Nava returns to Pawtucket
- Red Sox sign two as international signing period opens
- Cup of Coffee: Devers hits clutch homer, GCL Sox remain unbeaten
- Podcast Ep. 79: Promotions, Signings, Rankings, Fireworks?
- Five Sea Dogs chosen for Eastern League All-Star team
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza and Owens pitch well, Basabe leads Lowell