Red Sox lineup: David Ortiz sits Game 1, A.J. Pierzynski DH’ing
|07.05.14 at 10:54 am ET|
Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz will miss Game 1 of Saturday’s double-header against the Orioles with A.J. Pierzynski serving as the designated hitter in his place. Ortiz is returning from a previously scheduled family commitment in the Dominican Republic.
“He is returning from a family commitment that has been scheduled for quite some time in the Dominican,” manager John Farrell said Saturday morning. “He was going to miss yesterday’s game, but it just happens that it turns into the first game of today. Fully expect him to be in the lineup tonight.”
Ortiz posted on his Twitter account a picture of him and his daughter at her graduation.
Happy and proud dad At my baby girl graduation… pic.twitter.com/O452zI5zVk
Mookie Betts will get the afternoon off after starting in four straight games. The outfield will have Daniel Nava in left, Jackie Bradley Jr. in center and Brock Holt in right going up against O’s right-hander Miguel Gonzalez. David Ross will get the nod behind the plate with Jon Lester on the mound.
RED SOX LINEUP
Brock Holt, RF
Daniel Nava, LF
Dustin Pedroia, 2B
Mike Napoli, 1B
A.J. Pierzynski, DH
Xander Bogaerts, 3B
Stephen Drew, SS
David Ross, C
Jackie Bradley Jr., CF
Jon Lester, LHP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Callahan helps move Greenville into wild card lead
- Podcast Ep. 84: Mailbag extravaganza!
- Cup of Coffee: Longhi, Watkins power Greenville playoff push
- Cup of Coffee: Drive step closer to playoffs behind Drehoff, Moncada
- Cup of Coffee: Season comes to an end for DSL Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: DSL Sox drop playoff opener; Espinoza dominates
- Weekly Notes: Greenville lineup turning heads
- Cup of Coffee: McGrath lights-out, Sea Dogs' bats back Wilkerson
- Cup of Coffee: Perez helps GCL Red Sox clinch division
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi remains hot, Hernandez impressive for DSL Sox