Monday’s Red Sox-White Sox matchups: Clay Buchholz vs. Scott Carroll
|07.07.14 at 8:41 am ET|
Buchholz (3-4, 6.22 ERA) was strong once again in his second start since coming off the disabled list on June 25. He allowed just one run on five hits and had no walks over 6 1/3 innings, but lacked enough run support to earn a decision in a 2-1 Cubs win last Tuesday. Whatever issues Buchholz was having earlier in the season seemingly have disappeared. He’s given up just five runs in 13 2/3 innings and hasn’t walked a batter in the two starts since his return to the Red Sox‘ rotation.
Monday will be Buchholz’s second start against the White Sox this season and the eighth of his career. The right-hander took a no-decision in a solid outing in Chicago on April 16. He gave up three runs (two earned), six hits and two walks to go with six strikeouts over six innings in a 6-4 Red Sox win. Buchholz is 2-2 with a 4.10 ERA in his career against the White Sox.
After beginning the year as a starter, Carroll (2-5, 5.05 ERA) settled nicely into his long-relief role with the White Sox. The righty posted a 1.83 ERA in six relief appearances for Chicago and seemed bound to stay in the bullpen until the struggles of starter Andre Rienzo forced the White Sox to make a change to their rotation yet again.
Carroll, however, has struggled in two starts since returning to the rotation. He’s allowed 12 earned runs on 19 hits over 11 innings in a pair of losses, including a clunker against the Angels last Tuesday. Carroll gave up seven runs, 10 hits and three walks over six innings in a 7-5 Chicago loss at home.
“You’re seeing the lineup more times, you’re throwing a lot more pitches and going deeper into games, so I need to be more efficient and make better pitches,” Carroll said after the game. “I’m trying to get to the point to where I’m consistent and translate what I had into the bullpen over.”
Said White Sox manager Robin Ventura: “He’s been getting hit a little bit. He’s getting ground balls and then he starts picking and he gets in a tight spot and starts sinking it and getting ground balls. Just stay with that, don’t try to be fine, and let the defense work for you.”
Carroll has never faced the Red Sox or any of their players in his brief major league career.
White Sox vs. Buchholz (RHP)
Alexei Ramirez (19 appearances): .235 AVG/.263 OBP/.412 SLG, 1 HR, 3 RBIs, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts
Paul Konerko (17): .467/.529/.733, 1 HR, 1 double, 3 RBIs, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Alejandro De Aza (11): .300/.364/.400, 1 double, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Adam Dunn (10): .000/.300/.000, 3 walks, 3 strikeouts
Moises Sierra (9): .222/.222/.222, 2 strikeouts
Dayan Viciedo (9): .111/.111/.111, 2 strikeouts
Gordon Beckham (8): .125/.125/.500, 1 HR, 2 RBIs
Conor Gillaspie (6): .000/.000/.000, 3 strikeouts
Adam Eaton (4): .000/.250/.000
Josh Abreu (3): .000/.000/.000
Adrian Nieto (3): .667/.667/.667, 1 strikeout
Tyler Flowers has a hit and strikeout in two career plate appearances.
Red Sox vs. Carroll (RHP)
No Red Sox players have faced Carroll.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Spring training games begin
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals